40: Forgive Me.

After sixth period it was time to go to Glee and despite all of her big words yesterday Rachel wasn't looking forward to it. She was going to go, they were not running her out, but she really didn't want to walk into that room after what had transpired yesterday.

So she took the long way around, idly fantasizing that things were completely different and that Quinn was going to walk in with her, holding her hand the way she had in the hallway earlier, while they both glared at anyone who dared to question their love.

Her round-about route took her past Mike's locker, which was just around the corner from her own. He was there, alone, and Rachel strode over before she could think herself out of it.

"Can we talk?"

He glanced at her before looking back in his locker. "What about?"

"About yesterday. What Quinn said . . . well, it wasn't true."

"It's none of my business anymore."

"Mike, please, I understand your anger but I promise you it isn't like you think."

He slammed his locker closed and turned to her. "So what was it like?"

"I didn't try and kiss Quinn against her will."

He took a moment before he asked, "So you didn't kiss her?"

She hesitated. Why did she hesitate? She was a fool to herself with all this honesty business.

"I . . . I may have been confused about a few things, but I'm not now."

"You're not?"

Oh, her feelings were still really confusing but she knew beyond a shadow of a doubt now that she would never be Quinn's chew-toy again. After the blonde's confrontation with Noah she wasn't sure she could ever trust the girl to do right by her again.

"No, definitely not."

"Okay." Mike looked nervous all of a sudden. He stared down at the floor and rubbed the back of his neck, then turned to his locker only to realize he'd already closed it. He tapped his fingers against the dial a couple of times but didn't re-open it. Finally he swivelled back around to smile at her, only to get lost in reading a poster on the wall behind her head. "You know, Homecoming is tomorrow."

Yes, she knew that. Anyone who walked the halls of McKinley couldn't help but know that at the moment. The propaganda . . . sorry, promotional posters were everywhere. Was Mike not feeling well? He was perspiring, swallowing extensively and . . . jittery.

"Mike, do you need the nurse?"

"Maybe." When she was about to run and fetch one, he caught her hand and softly laughed. "No, I'm fine. I think I'm fine. If you were serious, that is, about Quinn. Were you serious?"

Yes, she was very serious about Quinn, but thankfully she had not forgotten the context of their conversation. "Yes, I have no desire to be anywhere near Quinn."

"In that case," Mike said, still looking strung-out. "I wanted to hang out with you yesterday because I was going to ask . . ."

Rachel stopped listening when she saw Quinn come around the corner, sucking a big gulp slushie up through a straw. Their eyes met and electricity crackled until Quinn looked away and Mike's voice filtered back in.

". . . so did you want to? Or have I just been really lame? I have." He deduced from her blank stare. I've just spent twenty-four hours giving you the cold shoulder and now I'm asking you to come to Homecoming with me." Mike groaned in self-depreciating despair before grinning shyly. "But, my total lameness aside, do you want to? Because I'd really like to go with you, Rachel."