A Boring Tuesday

I was on my way home from work one day when I came across something that forever has changed my life. I had just stepped out of Mr. Burtanelli's sub shop, putting a nice Italian BMT into my purse when I heard a scream. I looked at the source and saw a small crowd gathering around a crumpled body. Reporter instincts kicking in, as well as my insatiable curiosity I walked up.

There in the center of the crowd was a man wrapped in what looked to be some sort of yellow blanket, spare for blotches of blood on it. From the looks of him and the 3-foot deep indent in the wall behind him, he'd just been hit by a truck. It took me a second to process what I was seeing. Then another second to believe what I was seeing. I'd heard stories but had never actually seen him. It was Grado.

For those of you who've been living under a rock the last three years, Grado was the first superhuman on the scene. Science folks had called him a marvel of evolution. He could fly, was nearly indestructible, and had a jawline that could practically cut diamond. Combine that with a sense of truth, justice, and the American way and you have yourself a hero.

I scratched my head. So if this was the indestructible man, why was he wrapped in his cape in a bloody heap? It didn't take long to get my answer. Another scream wailed out of the audience and people quickly backed away from the scene of the fallen super.

Standing there, over Grado's limb body, was someone else I'd never seen. He wore all black with a silver cape and had a helmet with two large intimidating horns protruding from it. I heard a hot dog vendor nearby whisper in a reverent fearful tone, "The Black Saigon."

The Black Saigon marched towards Grado and grabbed him by his cape, spinning him around with the grace and poise of an Olympian. After three, maybe four revolutions he released Grado like an arcing discus in the air. The unconscious hero went straight through a stop sign, the metal post attached to it nearly breaking in half in the process.

The street was deadly silent. Grado was crumpled in the street, his body a limp ragdoll. Saigon, stood there in the stillness, catching his breath. And then he looked the crowd over. In a deep and booming voice, he spoke. "Behold your hero citizens! Witness as he falls and fails to get back up."

Gasps came from the crowd. I looked over to Grado who somehow was slowly pushing himself back up. His enemy didn't notice and continued on his monologuing.

"You will learn to trust in this new world of my creation. This world without heroes or villains. A world full of people doing whatever they desire with no stupid dimwitted fools to tell them otherwise. A Utopia. A valley of perfection. A sanctimonious rendi-."

A loud CRACK filled the air. Black Saigon went flying in the air himself this time. He landed with a loud thud just to my left. Grado stood in the middle of the street, popping his neck.

"Do you ever shut up?" the hero said. He ran full force at his foe, landing an elbow directly onto Black Saigon's helmet, sending him rocketing into the ground, his face impacting the street so hard it left a small crater.

Putting a foot on Saigon's back to pin him down, Grado looked up and notice me. "Oh hey! Julie Temple right? News Channel Five? Big fan of yours, very fair and balanced reporting." He looked me up and down. "You're shorter in person."

I smile at him. "They usually have me stand on an apple box. You're a big fan of me? I've followed your work the last few years. Seems you really are every bit as amazing as they say."

"Ah shucks Julie, you're making me blush." Saigon struggles to push himself up. Grado pushes his foot down harder pinning him down, much like a scene from a schoolyard.

My reporter instincts kicking in I take my chance, "Maybe after this is all wrapped up you could fly by the studio and do an exclusive interview? It's about time people knew the real Grado."

Before he could answer a flash of light erupted, bursting out of something in Saigon's hand. For a few seconds, all I could see was white. When my vision cleared Grado was on the ground again with Saigon now rushing towards me. In an instant, he had me by the neck.

"Follow me and she dies, hero!" He spat out, pontificating every syllable. "I will end your tyranny on another day. Your disgusting facade is at an end-" He continued monologuing like that for another two minutes. I honestly don't remember the specifics as I was trying to reach into my purse to get my taser, a birthday gift from my dad when I moved to the city. I managed to get it free and turned on and pushed it with all the force I could muster into Black Saigon's face. The electricity surged but Saigon seemed to only relish the pain it brought. Gross.

"Ah Julie, Julie, Julie." He chided. While the shock didn't seem to affect him much, other than whatever strange sadomasochistic thing he was into, it did have a strange effect on his voice modulator. He no longer spoke in a deep resonate tone but now sounded as if he had ingested helium. I couldn't help it. I laughed. So did some of the surrounding crowd.

"What? What is it?!" He demanded, his voice inflecting even higher. This caused an even louder response of laughter from the crowd. "No matter! Grado if you follow me the girl will die."

Grado put up his hands. "Hey sure, whatever you say Mickey." That got a big laugh from everyone. "I'll see you soon Julie." He winked towards me. Despite the circumstances, I think I blushed again.

Saigon furiously kicked his shoes together, fire erupting forth from the bottom, propelling him, and me, upward into the sky. As the laughter subsided and the ground became smaller and smaller I realized the position I was in. I was being carried by a madman, who wore a wannabe Viking helmet and sounded like Mighty Mouse, to his evil lair. So much for a boring Tuesday.