Chapter Thirty-Seven

SOUNDTRACK:  "Wolves" - Kanye West

Kate was halfway through signing her name on the list for the crew of RENT when the door she was writing on swung open and the pen slid across the page, leaving a long black line down half of the paper. She cursed under her breath and looked up to find Professor Hall standing in front of her.

"Signing up to audition?" he asked hopefully.

She shook her head. "No. The crew. I don't have time with soccer practice."

"Shame. I would have liked to see how you got on singing," he replied with a sad smile. "To see if you had your dad's talent."

She watched him walk away for a moment before running after him. "Sir!" she called. He stopped and turned to face her. "You didn't cast me just because of who my dad is, did you?" she asked.

"Of course not!" he said. "You have talent, girl. I wouldn't have cast you if you didn't. I hope to see you at the next auditions if you're not doing these."

Kate nodded and smiled weakly. "Sure, we'll see."

In truth, she didn't know what was going to happen by the next time auditions were going to take place. Since Sloan had dropped her little kernel of knowledge a few days ago, Kate had been walking on eggshells and keeping her head down, waiting for the other shoe to drop. She was walking toward her locker when she was once again cornered by Olivia Garland. The girl was like a bad case of herpes that just kept popping up just when you thought you'd gotten rid of it.

Kate sighed heavily as she opened her locker. "What do I owe this pleasure, Olivia."

"You're sleeping with Jared Leto?!" she hissed.

Kate whipped her head around so fast, she was surprised her neck didn't snap. "What?!"

Olivia leaned against the lockers. "He's so fucking hot. I heard he's into BDSM. Is that true?"

Kate tried to keep the horror off of her face as she struggled to keep her breakfast down at the same time. The idea of anyone suggesting she and Jared were doing...that...made her stomach turn. But the fact that Olivia believed it was more alarming to her.

"I - I - who told you that?" she asked the older girl.

"Sloan Harlowe did. I mean, it makes a lot of sense if you're living with him, you know?" Olivia tittered on. "Ugh, God I'd give anything for him to choke me."

Kate slammed her locker shut, making the other girl jump and drawing several glances from other students. "First of all, Sloan Harlowe is a no good gossip. Second, what you're suggesting is illegal and...and...disgusting! I'm sixteen. Why the hell would Jared Leto want a sixteen year old when he can have any woman he wants? LEGAL women."

She started walking away from Olivia, but she followed her. "So it's true, then? You're sleeping with him?" she asked. "I heard he's got a huge dick. Is it true?"

"For the love of all that is good and holy, Olivia stop," Kate said. "Why are you so worried about this gossip? It's not true."

"Sloan said he kissed her," Olivia said softly as several teachers walked by them.

"Give me strength," Kate muttered to the ceiling.

It was becoming increasingly apparent that Olivia would work things out on her own. And if it were left up to Sloan, the 'truth' would be a ghastly one. Kate needed at least one person on her side through all of this. She couldn't keep Sloan at bay on her own and her method of simply ignoring the stares and whispers wasn't going to do any good if Sloan kept on with her attacks.