Chapter 14

The air was crisp and heavy above the streets filled to the brim with people, more than usual for a Friday afternoon. I had almost forgotten this feeling, the pleasant scent of bread drifting down the boulevard, the rainbow sea of clothes moving around us, careful not to get too close. To be fair, Bucky and I did look quite a bit more intimidating than usual. The new heeled boots on my feet clicked with each step, and the dark crimson dress swayed around my knees. Bucky's steps kept in time with mine as we strolled down the sidewalk. I ignored the stares under the sunglasses pushed up on my nose.
I turned into the store, Bucky no more than two steps behind me, and made my way over to one of the book-filled cases. He stood less than three feet behind me at all times, unless he was beside me. A stray piece of hair fell from my ponytail as I browsed. Brushing it behind my ear, I picked up a book. Throne of Glass. One by one, my hands grabbed books and set them on the ever growing pile in Bucky's hands.
    "Do you really need all of these?" He muttered, peering over the stack in his arms.
    "I won't be allowed out for another month. You're right, I might need more." I shoved three more books onto the pile and he passed me a card as we walked to the register.
    An autumn leaf floated onto my shoulder as I walked, and I quickly brushed it off. The card in my pocket moved with my hips next to the wad of cash. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw a figure huddled against the side of a building, trying to shelter herself from the cold. When I changed direction to get closer, the footsteps beside me followed without question. The figure wrapped up in what used to be a blanket turned out to be two; a girl in her late teens, probably fifteen, and a boy no older than eight snuggled into the space between her and their duffel bag. I took a jacket out of one of the bags Bucky was holding and gave it to the boy. When his hands reached out to grab it, they were skeletal.
    My hand slipped into a pocket of my jacket and pulled out a hundred. The girl looked up at me with tear-filled eyes; I pulled out another. When I placed the bills into her hands she didn't say anything, instead using one of her shaking hands to sign a thank-you. I nodded and walked away before I could cry.
    I was exhausted and suggested we go back to the compound. My tracker was starting to itch; it would probably leave more than one cut on my ankle, but we had been in the city for the greater part of the day and I was having trouble picking up my feet. Bucky gestured for me to follow him as we turned into a alley that led to a warehouse where a jet would take us back "home."
    As soon as I turned down the alley, the air changed. Bucky pulled a gun out of his belt and ditched the bags. I turned around, back to him, and pulled an unauthorized knife out of my boot. One thing I didn't like about the tracker, besides the bastard itself; my powers were turned off. I tried to use them, my body gets tranq-ed.
    "Stay behind me." Bucky muttered, as five men marched out of the shadows.
    "Hell no." I stepped up beside him, gripping the knife with white knuckles. Two men in black uniforms pulled out guns, aiming both at my head.
    "You shoot, the girl dies. And we don't want that, now do we, Soldier?" One, presumably the leader, hissed, stepping forward. I saw him flick a finger towards me and a glimmer in the corner of my eye. I ducked, just in time for a dart to whiz past my neck. Bucky's ricocheted off his arm. He started shooting as I busted the heels off my shoes on the wall, flipping behind a woman, shoving my knife in the belt of my dress and snapping her neck in one swift movement. The body dropped to the ground as I ran between two others who were stupid enough to shoot each other's legs. I grabbed the gun out of one's hands and twisted my left hand, knocking the blade of my knife into the other's neck. Two quick gunshots echoed in the alley, one bullet hitting the man in the head, the other lodging itself in my arm.
    "Damn it." I groaned, emptying a round into a body on my right. I looked just in time to see the last body drop.
    Bucky and I didn't exchange anything but a glance before darting towards the jet. He took the pilot's seat and I sat down in the co-pilot's. Taking the knife, I looked away as I stuck it in the wound, trying to dig the bullet out as carefully as possible. The shell clattered to the floor of the plane and I sat back in my seat. "That was fun, soldier."
    "Shut up." He said, gripping the steering wheel with two hands. Bucky took a moment to glance at the hole in my arm, which continued bleeding profusely. I opened a compartment over my head and took out a first-aid kit. Taking out gauze and tape, I wrapped my arm a few times and ripped a piece of tape with my teeth, placing it at the end of the strip.
    "That's gonna need stitches."
    "No shit, Sherlock."

A/N - Hey guys! I'm having some trouble coming up with story ideas. This chapter was based off a comment by thegoldengamer15461 . I figured, you all read the story, why not let you shape it? Leave all ideas in the comment section and I will try my hardest to fulfill your demands!