Chapter Three: Coffee

A/N: Look who's back! Sorry to leave all you non-existent readers hanging for a while, the month fic took priority! Hope you enjoy this continuation! Kai POV next chapter by the way...

To her disappointment, Kai hasn't emailed her by the time she has to close up.

She'd hoped to have received something from him before heading home, never sure if she'll have any spare time after her daily chores.

Adri must notice that she's not feeling very good because Cinder gets given an unusually long list of chores to do. With a sigh, she tries to finish all of the requests, rolling her eyes as she sees shopping at the very bottom, having missed it at first glance.

Grabbing a coat and heading down the staircase two steps at a time, she slips her hands into her pockets and starts humming whatever comes into her head.

The air outside is cold, a breeze pushing her along the worn out pavement. Even the bright streetlights are dimmer than usual, a few of them flickering every so often. Her boots echo on the ground, the dull thuds filling the evening silence. The trees lining the pavement shake as the wind runs through them, sending leaves floating into her hair.

She ignores them, ducking her head and tensing her shoulders as she speed walks to the nearest shop.

It doesn't take her long to buy the things Adri had wanted and the ingredients for Pearl's school baking lessons, after which she sighs and slings the bags further along her arms, looking for the café she knows has recently opened, craving a coffee.

She pushes the door open with her shoulder, dumping the bags down on an empty table. She's not really paying attention to anyone around her when she goes to order so she quickly hands them the money and heads back to her table.

It's only when someone awkwardly clears their throat next to her that she jumps.

"Sorry!" Kai grins sheepishly. "Your coffee is ready..."

Cinder smiles. "Thanks. You work here?"

It's a stupid question, already answered by his uniform and name tag.

Kai blushes. "Yes."

Cinder laughs at his expression, shaking her head. "It's okay, I don't think it's a bad thing."

"Good, because I could have dropped your coffee on you or something. I am the waiter."

She smiles again, chuckling.

"Anyway, enjoy the coffee!" Kai starts to turn away, then groans quietly, "I should probably give it to you..."

He slowly places the cup on the table, his cheeks flamed red as if tattooed.

Cinder would assure him that it's alright but she's laughing too hard and she can't stop her hysteria, even when Kai returns to the till to pick up another order and carries on with a smile.

Cinder sighs, slumping and sipping at her coffee.

She waits until there's only just enough in the cup to keep it warm, making it a good substitute for a hand warmer, and picks up her bags.

She glances back to see if she can catch a glimpse of Kai before she leaves but he's gone behind the till and she doesn't want to block the door so, with a shrug, she leaves and starts her journey home.

"Wait!"

Having only gone three steps, she turns, frowning and trying not to overbalance with her bags. Kai almost crashes into her, holding up a hand as he takes a breath.

"I like your shoelaces," he whispers.

She glances down, about to state that she's wearing flats devoid of lace, when something occurs to her and she smirks. "Thanks, I stole them from the president."

Kai's face lights up and he smiles so wide she can see his teeth. "Really?"

Cinder nods. "Of course."

The two of them quickly exchange URLs, both wearing matching grins as Kai scribbles on her hand and she scribbles on his. As she does, she notices that her email is still on his arm, slightly smudged.

"You planning on making it a tattoo?"

He starts to reply but winces as someone yells his name from inside the café.

"Sorry, but I'd really like to keep this job," Kai says quietly. "Until next time?"

"Sure. Later!" She calls as she walks on, shaking her head with a fond smile on her face.

"You're late," Adri tells her as she gets back, a frown on her face.

Cinder doesn't say anything, walking past her step-mother and unpacking the bags in the kitchen, putting the items in their places and folding the bags away, before heading up to her room.

There's not much in the tiny space, but there is a desk, where her laptop is flashing.

She frowns, flipping up the lid and wondering if someone had messed with it. But, thankfully, they haven't; it's simply a tumblr message notification.

-Hey, Princess.

-Apologies, I didn't say: this is Kai.

-I told you I can keep my promises.

Cinder laughs inwardly.

Her heart does a strange flip inside of her and she has to bite her tongue to avoid disturbing the silence and risking getting grounded once again.

She immediately starts to type back.

-well, look who didnt disappoint

Either he's still online or he has push notifications enabled because he replies immediately.

-Of course I didn't. How was the coffee?

-caffeinated

-Oh, good. Seems that we still know how to make coffee then.

-haha

-very funny

-not

-Not easily impressed, huh?

-guess not

-Clearly beverages aren't a very good strategy.

-not unless you want to lose

-Do I have competition?

-depends on what youre trying to win

-I'm not sure yet.

-well then youll be fine

-Did your apostrophe key break?

-no why

-Never mind. I like your blog!

-its not as aesthetic as yours

-Alas, we can't all have the Kai aesthetic.

-thank the stars

-They say you're welcome.

-I must dash.

-Night, Princess.

-see you round

She decides to log off, instead working on fixing the lamp in the corner so that the light can change colour and not blind her every morning.

It's late when she starts to yawn, her stomach rumbling and her head pounding. She knows there's not going to be any food downstairs so she sighs and flops onto her bed, turning the lamp off and squeezing her eyes shut in the hope that she'll see Kai again tomorrow.

She does need to buy a coffee again anyway...

Well, catch you laterz, alligators! ;)