An Introductory Letter to The Cobra's Gaze

To whomever should find this story,

He isn't a terrible man.

His cold demeanor makes him an intimidating presence. His sharp intelligence makes him a true genius. His harbored feelings of betrayal makes him a bitter personality. His body count of millions makes him a monster.

But he isn't a terrible man.

Every word written here is true, but you must be questioning how I can describe this man I speak of and yet not call him 'terrible'. This is where perspective comes into play you see, and in mine I do not think of this man as terrible.

I know this man, I know him quite well indeed. We have known each other for years and consider the other the best of what a friend should be. I understand that this is a rarity in modern society and so my friend and I are very fortunate to possess this connection. However, I am afraid that he may have realized the sheer importance of our bond far too late, and that was when our world came tumbling down around us.

There were few secrets between us, we trusted each other explicitly despite the unorthodox nature of our friendship. This also includes the when and how it began. We didn't care though, we had each other and quite frankly that was all we ever needed. Two very co-dependent souls, finding each other during the worst events of their lives, latching onto each other only to never let go even after the aftermath had passed for them both.

Not even now am I willing to let my friend go, and I know that he shares my sentiments. I don't believe that we could ever release the other to be fully consumed by what we both sought solace from, what we protected each other from then and now.

What were my friend and I hiding from? How did we find each other? Why do I consider our friendship unusual?

And the best question: Who is my friend, the man whom I find to be not terrible at all?

I won't answer the first three immediately, but I will give one to the last.

His name was once Rexford Lewis, better known as 'Rex' by those who betrayed him and by myself. However I believe you all know my friend better as the international terrorist Cobra Commander, founder and leader of COBRA.

It seems I have quite the tale to tell, don't I?

Your Storyteller,

Sarah Lacroix