Entry 05 : Strange Relations

03 | 1210 | Z | JAN | 21

As a very late Christmas present, Dr. Pershing had a desktop setup in the Burn Unit for us. Rex and I had given each other a confused look as the computer technician set it up. Once he left, Dr. Pershing walked in with another man in a formal business suit. He was taller than the doctor by several inches, taller than Mindbender if I recalled his height correctly. The doctor stood to the side as the man in the suit sat down, not even acknowledging us as he opened up a file and then started texting a long series of code. We waited in silence, the only noise the typing on the keyboard and Rex's ventilator.

After a few more minutes, the screen went black, then a dark grey and the image of three outlines of triangles locked together appeared in the middle, close to the top. It spun slowly as two black rectangles faded onto the screen. The man stood from the chair and gave a single nod to Dr. Pershing before he walked out of the Burn Unit as quietly as he entered. Dr. Pershing then cleared his throat, getting us to focus our attention on him.

"Dr. Lewis, Sarah, requests for communication with you have recently come in, and my superiors have decided to set up a computer here in the Burn Unit. The gentleman who was just here activated a program called Odin's Eye. This will allow you to communicate with others who have the program and it is the most secure network to date."

Rex's eyes lit up as he said hoarsely, "I remember hearing about it a year ago, didn't think it would go live this soon."

"My understanding is that they kept that part of the project secret, that way organizations such as the CIA, MI6, and Interpol would be left at a disadvantage and not catch on until Odin's Eye was already widely distributed."

Rex nodded, and I understood the reasoning behind it though it was not my prominent thought concerning the program.

"And who is requesting to talk to me?" I ask Dr. Pershing, and the doctor gave me a look like I should already know.

"Your father of course. He has been wanting to talk to you for a little over a week, but until now we have not had a secure way for him to talk to you and he is unable to come here himself."

I let out a sigh, a wave of slight disappointment going through my mind and my shoulders dropped as the loosened. Dr. Pershing wasn't going to say it, but I already knew the likely reason why he had not been able to come here. I was fully aware of what my father does as an assassin, even if he never told me the details. An assassin was an assassin, and it was not a career most would decide on for a living as it was an occupation riddled with danger from every angle. Having a family only makes it harder. Dr. Pershing looked like he was going to ask me something, but Rex interrupted him with his own question.

"And who requested communication with me?"

I glanced at him and gave him a grateful look, but I could tell in his eyes he had his own questions about my reaction. He wouldn't as them now though, and it was grateful for the extra time to think over things in my head. Specifically, the ones concerning my relationship with my father and the strains on it.

"Dr. Mindbender wished to pick at your brain," Our doctor answered Rex, "See if you are fit enough start training even during your therapy."

Another understanding nod and Dr. Pershing cleared his throat again before asking, "Which of you would like to go first? We have time before your therapy session begins this afternoon."

Rex and I looked at each other, and then he gestured towards the computer as our doctor went to a corner of the room for the foldable chair so one of us could sit in it. He had a devious look in his eyes as he said, "Ladies first."