VI • KRAVGÍ

kravgí

kravgí

scream

Cameron did a double take when he walked into Annabeth's room, when he looked at her.

Now, with the dirt gone, her very pale skin was visible. He could follow her veins like a map across her body. Bruises decorated her face, her arms, her legs, and most likely other places that were hidden beneath her clothes. He was pleased to see that she was wearing the baggy sweater that Cameron had given her earlier, and a pair of Drew's leggings that were very loose. Her wide gray eyes peered over at him, and Cameron was reminded of a doe.

Yes, a doe described her perfectly. Skinny, frail, frightened. The way her eyes darted around, looking for an escape. The way Cameron approached her slowly, holding his hands out wide so that Annabeth could see he had nothing to hurt her with. They way she leaned back on a pillow, not quite relaxed.

"I tried healing her," a voice said. Cameron nearly jumped in surprise, but years of training kept him from doing so. He glanced over to find Chris sitting in a chair, one leg crossed over the other. He smirked knowingly at Cameron. Then, the look of amusement disappeared, replaced by one of worry and concern. "But I'm afraid to give her any more ambrosia. I don't think her system can handle it."

Cameron nodded in agreement. But he was more focused on Annabeth. Her eyes were unfocused and looking towards the window, apparently unaware that the two boys were talking about her. That scared him.

His gaze didn't leave her as he said, "you can leave now, Chris. Have Clarisse catch you up on the meeting when she gets back."

Cameron felt the other boy's smirk on him as Chris left the room with a casual goodbye to Annabeth. She didn't respond.

"Annabeth," Cameron said softly as Chris' footsteps faded down the hall. She blinked a few times, the bruises under her eyes well-defined. Though they were still cloudy, her eyes were slightly more focused than before. Focused on Cameron. He swallowed, not sure why he was nervous. He had faced countless monsters, and done horrible things, yet sitting in a room alone with Annabeth made his stomach then. Cameron licked his lips and said, "are you hungry?"

Annabeth looked at the plate in his hand, and shook her head, a grimace on her face. Cameron looked at the plate's contents as well, attempting to discern the look of disgust on her face: a handful of baby carrots, a cookie, a chunk of cheese, an apple, and a slice of bread. A plain meal. Easy foods for her to eat.

"What's wrong with it?" Cameron probed.

She merely grimaced again, and turned back to look at the window.

Cameron forced himself not to sigh. It wasn't her fault, really. If anything, Dolos was the one to blame. Dolos, who was a minor god of trickery, and was so unimportant that there were only a few myths including him. At least, that's what he deduced from his brief research. Dolos was the apprentice to Prometheus. The Titan was impressed when Dolos was able to shape an exact replica of the goddess of truth, with one exception being that he did not have enough clay to make her feet.