VII • FOGÍ

fogí

fogí

voice

|||||

"Is she going to be okay?" Clarisse's voice was uncharacteristically shaky as she forced the words out. She stood across the room from Cameron, leaning against the wall and looking anywhere but at the table.

The table that held a bleeding, dying, silent Drew.

"She'll be fine!" Cameron's voice was more shrill than what he intended. "Everything is going to be fine!"

Everything was not fine. Annabeth was passed out upstairs. Drew looked close to death, the red of her blood pooling beneath her. Clarisse looked pale and sick, her eyes flashing. Chris was doing patrol, leaving Cameron to try and heal Drew. Cameron, who had no idea what to do.

He was watching a terrible crash, and he was standing in the middle of it. Cameron was watching it, but there was no way for him to stop it and sage Drew. All he could do was silently watch.

No. No, he could do more. Cameron took in a deep breath, and his rational voice floated through the panic in his mind: Find her injuries. Look for what's wrong.

Drew's body had several different wounds, each of them bleeding. Her stomach was the worst, but a deep cut ran jagged along her right bicep. And there were several cuts on her forehead and lips. She had fallen unconscious promptly after announcing her arrival, and had not woken up since.

What worried Cameron the most was Drew's hand. No, not her hand; he was most worried about what it was hiding, what she was concealing in order to stay alive. Her hand was blood-stained, and pressed tightly against her stomach.

As if trying to hold it inside her.

Cameron swallowed, his throat suddenly dry. Several demigods had died with injuries not as severe as this, and that was with a healer and actual supplies. And Cameron was a warrior, not a healer.

Come to me, a familiar voice whispered in his mind, and he hissed in pain as a green tint clouded his vision. Cameron shut his eyes to prevent her from seeing Drew and the state that she was in.

The tendril of Gaea caressed his mind once more, before fading away, disappointed. Then, the presence was gone.

"Cameron?" Clarisse asked, noting the look of pain flash across his face. But her voice was filled with dread.

He locked eyes with the girl. "She's summoning me. To go, right now."

Fear struck deep in her brown eyes. She stumbled two steps towards him, her hands half-way reaching out to him. "But you can't leave. You can't leave Drew. You have to help her."

Cameron inhaled raggedly, and tried to calm down. But that was easier said than done with one of his best friends having her life pumped out of her body.