Cast Your Skin

Chapter 5: Cast Your Skin

We didn't leave the pool that night, unsurprisingly, we had been a bit...busy. I pulled up and looked at the water curiously as a thought came to my mind.

'I don't know how to swim.' I said suddenly.

Mr. Ambrose looked my way while he fixed his coat that he had thrown whilst diving towards me...when I had been drowning. 'We clarified that much a while ago.' He said.

I shook off my embarrassment. 'If I am to be in your employment then I am pretty sure a moment might come when I have to swim for my life.' I said clarifying my outburst.

'That,' He said chillingly, staring at me intensely, 'will never happen.'

I waved him off, 'Yes yes, but everyone has a cold day. Better to be ready, right?'

'I never had bad luck. Luck is superficial and not a factor.' He said.

'Do you want me to drown?' I asked frustrated. 'Can you or can you not, teach me?' I asked.

'There is no need of it.' He said dismissing me. 'That's it then.' I said looking away.

'What, Mr. Linton?' He asked.

'You can't teach me.' I said grinning to myself. My statement was answered with silence. Not the cold yet quiet silence but a cold and angry silence.

I hit the spot! 'For your information, Mr. Linton, it is not my lack of abilities but yours. If anything, teaching you would be useless because you are lacking.' He spoke swiftly.

Abilities my-...He did not just say that! 'Are you saying that I am not a man?' I asked angrily. I was met with silence.

'Then tell me, how many men know how to swim, that you know of?' I asked challenging him.

Silence.

'Well?' I asked.

'Karim knows how to swim.' He started. 'And?' I asked gesturing him to continue. I heard him grounding his teeth.

Well well well, if it isn't the woman coming in first. 'Ha!'

'That's not the point Mr. Linton! Any man can learn.' He said frustrated.

'But they don't.' I said mockingly. 'But they can!' He shot back.

'Seems like all you are saying is that, You. Can't. Teach. Me.' I said

A moment later I regretted making Mr. Ambrose my teacher.

*_*_**_*_*

'You are doing it wrong! You are supposed to keep your feet and back straight. Then push with your legs.' He said.

'I know how I can keep you straight by shoving that pole up-...' I started.

'Mr. Linton!' He said.

'I can't learn anything with you standing there with your arms crossed while I am in the water trying to imitate a fish!' I said.

Mr. Ambrose thought that he can bark orders at me and somehow I would learn how to swim. Anything I tried or did had to be completely wrong.

'How else will you learn?' He asked. 'Get your derriere in the water now!' I commanded.

'Mr. Linton, I am your employer, not you, mine!' He said staring at me with those cold eyes.

'Fine! Get your derriere in the water now, Sir!' I shot back. 'You can learn without me having to come in.' He said.

'I can't and you know that!' I said frustrated. 'Fine!' He snapped and started taking off the necessary clothing. I would've loved if he had cast his skin but alas! All I got was him removing his tailcoat and opening up some buttons on his shirt and cuffs.