A Rainy Evening - The First Chance

•••

One evening, it rained cats and dogs, and a few frogs and fishes too.
I was in the café, she walked in with an umbrella.
The place was packed, and there was one seat that was empty. That was facing my table. I had half a mind to get up and call her over, but before I could make up my mind and inflate my courage, she walked to a corner table that just got cleared.

An hour later, it was still raining.
In the midst of all that rain and thunder, I contemplated and coined her name, "The Lonely Girl".

The Lonely Girl had walked out a few minutes before I decided to leave. When I got outside the café, I saw her standing by the sidewalk, waiting. I walked up to her quickly, and before I knew it I had asked her if I could drop her to her place. As it was raining, I added.

She didn't smile, she just looked at me, turned around and walked away in the rain! Under her umbrella.

My friends laughed at me. Yep, it was completely embarrassing. Even the bum on the street held back a grin.
I hadn't even heard the Lonely Girl's voice. Pathetic, I say.

The next day I saw her at the café, she was sitting by herself.
Perhaps she was Calvin, and she had a Hobbes around to keep her company. I was invisible. Her smoke rings were fascinating her. She couldn't even leave good smoke rings, what was the deal with staring at it ?
This happened everyday for a month.

•••