Two ~ Hope

The train slowly pulls up to the station and Tommy and I, with the rest of our mates, huddle around the windows. It's really a sight to see because there are men and women waving and holding food and bottles of beer, but more importantly, they're smiling.

It's gotta be a mistake.

"They do know we didn't win, don't they?" I ask, keeping my gaze on the large crowd.

"Maybe they're just happy we made it home," Tommy suggests and I roll my eyes.

"Not all of us," I mumble, seeing the faces of our mates we left behind flash before my eyes. "I highly doubt their families will be celebrating."

A loud screeching pierces my ears and my body moves into the seat as the train comes to a complete stop. While everyone else is rushing to get off, I'm dreading it. Even though Tommy has invited me to stay at his place, I'm not holding my breath because the final say will come from his mum.

She'll probably be scared of me. Oh shit, Tommy said he has a little sister. She'll probably be some obnoxious lassie with pigtails who runs around everywhere. But at least it's a place to stay.

"C'mon, mate," Tommy pats my shoulder and I grab my blanket from the seat before following him off the train. Besides the uniform I'm wearing and the boots on my feet, it's the only thing I have to my name.

Tommy periodically looks back at me as he leads the way through the crowd and I can't help but wonder if he thinks I'll take off or if he's just silently reassuring me that he knows where he's going.

"Good on ya, lads," a man greets us, handing me two opened bottles of beer and apples and he pats my shoulder.

I nod to thank him and nudge Tommy's arm to get his attention. He looks back and I hold up one of the bottles and apples for him. He thanks me and we both take a drink, seemingly celebrating together amongst the crowd.

"Home is about a half an hour walk that way," Tommy points toward a sign that has big white letters on it and I nod. "Do you think you can make it?"

"Do you think I can't?"

"I know you can, Alex. I was just letting you know how far it is."

I nod because I believe him and he takes a drink of his beer, so I join in with him and our attention is diverted to an Army personnel announcing something. He's standing by a barrel, making sure that the soldiers surrender their guns and canteens before they leave.

"I left mine on the beach," Tommy shrugs a shoulder and takes a bite of his apple.

"Me too. The only thing I have is this blanket and if that old bloke hadn't given this to me, I'd have given him an earful."

"What are you talking about? You'd tell him off for what?"

"He was so ashamed that he couldn't even look me in the eyes."

"Oh for God's sake. Are you that daft?" Tommy laughs and it's all I can do not to give him a knuckle sandwich. "He didn't look at you because he was blind."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, he didn't look at me either and he felt all around my face like he was trying to see me with his hand. It's like he wanted to know who fought for his country."

As his words sink into my brain, I feel both guilt and relief; guilt because I thought ill of a bloke who more than likely served in the military back in his younger days and relief because the first person who welcomed me home wasn't ashamed of me.

Tommy and I continue down the sidewalk, eating our apples and drinking our beer while I check out my surroundings. This town has a cozy feel with shops that have nice window displays and I realize this could be home for a while, if Tommy's mum approves of my stay.