Eighteen ~ Note

The weekend went by like a blur. In between my reading lessons with Mrs. Hughes and fixing several things here and there around the house, I spent time with Tommy and Georgina.

After making amends with Tommy yet again, we've gotten along splendidly and I find his company quite pleasant when he's not threating me, and knowing that the kiss meant nothing to Georgina has definitely made avoiding any sort of flirtatious interaction with her easier.

Still hurts though. But why?

"So, tell me, Al, are you excited for your first day of work?" Tommy asks and I look up from my empty breakfast plate.

"Yeah, a bit nervous if I'm honest," I sheepishly admit.

"Oh, there's nothing to be nervous about, love," Mrs. Hughes pats my shoulder. "I know Irwin can be somewhat intimidating at first, but he's a teddy bear at heart."

"Just don't ever be late for a shift," Tommy warns, earning my complete attention. "He'll put you on mop duty for a whole bloody week."

"And how would you know that?" I knowingly smirk.

"Oh put a sock in it, will ya?" he throws his wadded napkin at me, but my quick reflexes of ducking makes it miss me.

"Ha!"

"Now, boys," Mrs. Hughes warns with amusement in her tone. "Alright, I have to get to the seamstress shop. You three have a good day and I'll see you later for supper."

Oo, I wonder what masterpiece she's going to make tonight.

"I'll walk you out, Mum."

"Thank you, Thomas."

As she kisses Georgina on the cheek goodbye, I gather my dirty dishes and take them to the sink. After giving them a good scrubbing, I set them on the towel and dry my hands on my trousers.

"Alex?"

A smile tugs at my lips at her sweetly calling my name and I clear my throat, willing myself to stop any sort of swooning before I turn around.

"Yes, Georgina?"

"I've packed you a lunch."

"You did?"

"Mhm, well, for you and Tom Tom," she explains, holding up two brown paper sacks.

With the help of my reading lessons, I can read my own name on the bag and I can't tell if it's her pretty handwriting or the fact that I can actually read that's making me want to cry.

I'm still manly though.

"That was very kind of you," I reach out for the sack and my fingers brush against hers. "Uhm, thank you, Georgina."

"It's nothing special, mind you. It's just a ham and cheese sandwich sliced diagonally, a pickle spear and an apple. I didn't slice it now because it would brown before you even got to the clock shop."

Her explanation and sweet smile make me smile and I snap myself out of whatever trance I'm in.

"Thank you just the same. Tommy and I better go. I'd hate to be late. I don't have a mop with me, y'know," I give her a sly smile and she giggles.

"You're funny, Alex."

Our little moment is interrupted when the front door slams shut and I take a step back from Georgina in anticipation of what Tommy might say.

"You two ready?" he asks and I eagerly nod. "Georgie, you got your bookbag for your classes?"

"It's in my room. I'll go get it. Oh! And here's your lunch."