CHAPTER 8

Two weekends with Peter – who side-eyes the jittery way Stiles jiggles his knee and can't seem to sit still but still doesn't comment – come and go, and school starts back up before a letter finally comes back to him, appearing in a bubble that surfaces and pops when Stiles goes to check the river again for the umpteenth time.  He almost drops it back into the water in his haste to open it, holding his breath as he unfolds the two sheets of paper inside.

It's nothing like what he expected-

.

My dear nephew,

So, Claudi's pup has finally plucked up the nerve to contact the family?  And the first thing he asks is if it would be okay to see us?  What did your mother tell you?  Nothing good if you would doubt your welcome amongst us, and since your letter was addressed to me alone, I will assume she only ever mentioned me to you, if that.  In truth, you have a much bigger family, but I believe I shall allow them to introduce themselves once you get here.

Foolish pup, of course we want to see you.  You're family, even if we've never spoken before now.  By the time you receive this letter, one of your uncles will have started the process of filing for your citizenship.  It isn't difficult, especially since you have established family here already, but paperwork always takes time so it's best to begin early.

Several of your older cousins are already preparing a room for you so I've been charged to ask you what colours you like, or you could even take pictures of your current bedroom and send them to us in your next letter, and they'll put together something similar.  Most selkies prefer very exact measurements and design for their bedroom pool so it is completely understandable if you want us to put that on hold until you arrive, although do be warned, your cousins will have quite a number of opinions on the matter.  They often do, and they would've sent you letters of their own pestering you for everything from your favourite movies to your dating life but I thought it might overwhelm you to receive them this early in our correspondence and so put my foot down accordingly.  They really should learn some patience anyway.

                But on a more serious note, pup – as much as I too am looking forward to your arrival, I must also ask for clarification on a few legal matters.  First, as a family relation, your father – presuming he is still alive since you did not mention him in your letter – is welcome to come with you.  Our family has some draconian friends who would be willing to make the round trip and fly him in while you take the waterways, but we'll need a time and place in order for the proper arrangements to be made.  There aren't many humans inhabiting the Astralands, relatively speaking, but there's still a decent amount of them, and they're as welcome as any supernatural creature so long as they hold no prejudice against us.

Second of all, I'm afraid I have to ask for his name, although I assume his surname is Stilinski since you signed your letter with it.  Growing up, the Astralands never seemed big enough for your mother, and she left for the human realm as soon as she could.  She sent a few letters now and then at first, and the last letter we received from her informed us that she was pregnant with you and would be getting married to a human, but she didn't mention his name, and when we asked if we could visit, or if she could bring him to us, she never replied, and we did not hear from her again until you made the proper arrangements for the sea to take her home to us.  Thank you for that, Mieczysław.  At the very least, we were granted some closure even if the circumstances of her death are still somewhat unclear to us.  I will not ask now – it is not a topic that lends itself to a mere letter – and if it upsets you too much to speak of it, I will not insist on details even when we see each other in person, but I will at least enquire about it then.  As for your father, I will need his full name and some personal information (date of birth, education, etc.) – that way, we'll be able to acquire citizenship for him as well and perhaps prepare some career options once we have his credentials.

And third, the friends and acquaintances you've made in the human realm, you will have to leave behind.  There are strict laws concerning bringing people over, and while it is easy enough to obtain entrance for you and your father, it is much less so for those who are not family or spouse or even a creature seeking asylum or otherwise.  Letters are still possible of course, if they know your secret, but moving from that world to ours has always been something of a severance.  We have always been separate from the human realm, and that more than anything else has protected us and preserved our way of life so that we will never have to hide and continuously look over our shoulders for people who would hunt us solely because of what we are.

I will not ask if you are certain of your decision to come live in the Astralands.  It seems an insult to doubt your resolve, especially if you are anything like my stubborn sister used to be, and the fact that you have written to me at all tells me everything I need to know.  So instead, I will ask if there is anything you would like to know about our homeland or our family or anything at all that you might be curious about.  I know Claudi brought some of her books with her when she left but she didn't take everything, and sometimes, being able to ask directly from the source is far more informative.

Lastly, you will have noticed a second sheet enclosed in this letter.  You mentioned you were interested in furthering your education sometime in the future, so I have included a list of requirements necessary for entrance into most universities here, and aside from the program that all emigrants are required to take, if there is anything else you might need to make up before you can apply, there is always the option of tutors.

We look forward to hearing from you again so write back soon.  Your letter sounded worried, pup, and I understand all this might be a little awkward for you, suddenly finding out you still have so many relatives, but we have always known Claudi had a son, and even though we have not yet met, I hope you believe me when I say that we have always wanted you.

With love, and awaiting your reply,

Talysse

(Is it Mieczysław or Stiles?  You signed your letter with both.  Which do you prefer?)

.

It's nothing like what he expected.  But it is everything he foolishly, childishly hoped for, and – at least on paper – his aunt does not disappoint.