Chapter |02| The lion and Me

Chapter |2| The lion and me

I took me about five seconds to realise who had screamed at me like a banshi. Infact, those five seconds involved me sputtering like a fish. Christopher Knight. Heir to the Knight fortune, only child of Sir Knight. I tried putting on a welcoming smile as I ducked the tray with green tea flying towards me. Was tthis real? Should I be here? So many questions.

''Hello, sir " I greeted curiously with one of my best smiles. The man continued to rampage as he pushed everything down, he finally turned towards me. He heaved clutching his chest " Are you alright, sir?" I asked. I took cautious steps towards him.

I placed my hand on his shoulder. Pause.

So that was a mistake. Clearly I wasn't thinking straight. Lets take a few seconds to examine this. I'm a maid. Check. I was new here. Check. I was not suppose to be here. Check.

First mistake.

Clearly I'm stupid.

I touched the man. Check. Second mistake. I didn't consider this a mistake though. He was mentally ill and probably my master. No master sounded terrible. Boss. Yes, my boss. I had to thread with caution. I smiled at the man and held his arm trying to help him up.

" Dont touch me. I said get your filthy hands off me" he hissed as if my skin was of venom and fire.

"Who the hell are you? Who" with every word was a new tone of anger if possible. He shrieked once more as he rose to his feet.

I heaved a sigh of relief.

" Out" He said. His voice was now calm and still. It was just above a whisper. I looked at him curiously , did he just have a mental breakdown. The door was my first thought even before he spoke.

I glanced around the room. Every corner had a broken item, here and there . Scatered books, papers glass , just name it.

" I'm Lee-" I began. He immediately glared at me as if to shut me up. No. No. "I'm Lee-"

"Did you not hear me, you blasted witch? Get the hell out. Leave. Leave. Leave" he glared at me. His eyes, red. In fact a shade of crimson . He'd cut his head as blood trickled down. His fists were clutched and his shoulders rose quickly with his breath.

He was so rude. I had done nothing to deserve an insult. His words reminded me of a place. A person. Not again, I had to stand up for myself. I couldn't let this man kill my spirit.

"I am Yang-doen" I said confidently. " I will be replacing Jenny as your ma- personal assistant" I said with a smile as I brought my hand out for a shake.

It took me every atom of my spirit not to hit or give him a piece of my mind . I arched my eyebrows and glared at him . I could feel anger rising in the pit of my stomach like a pot of boiling water ready to pour .

He seemed to look curious for a second like I was the strangest thing in the world, the next second anger flashed across his features. His eyes. His eye reminded me of a bull about to charge.

And charge he did. He grabbed me by the elbow and like a rag, he flang me out. " Get the hell out. Untill I call you, I do not want to see you and I certainly do not want to hear you. Take a bath , you filthy Korean peasant "

With that, the door flew open as if it'd fly off its hinges. I was thrown out and just as the door flew open in a flash so was it was shut.

I could remember the faint words of madam Jennifer ringing in my head. About his sharp snake-like tongue . His hurtful yet meaningless words. They were all bark and no bite. He was all bark and no bite. I soothingly rubbed the red marks on my upper arm.

"I ought to bite you the next time you touch me , bat"

I swiftly shook my head. Slowly the warm aroma engulfed me in it's warm palms, I could smell something. I couldn't quite place my finger on. It was sweet, fresh and soothing . The aroma wafted through and finally settled on my tongue .My starving tummy rumbled in response to the loud and clear signal for food. I did not have breakfast and it was almost time for supper.

I sniffed in pursuit of the unknown aroma. I inhaled swiftly taking as many swigs as possible . It was coming from downstairs, probably from the kitchen.

I raked my eyes over the walls and floor . The walls were a rich cream with small gold lights which probably stayed on the whole day . There were crystal and gold chandeliers which hang on the roof giving it an elegant glow. The floors were carpeted red . The true definition of beauty and elegance .

I never thought I'd live in a house like that , the Knight house for that manner. Growing up in Pancha ,a poor rural area in the middle of nowhere with nothing but enough to eat . Of course we were satisfied with the little we had . From the brown walls to the wood floor ; home was home.

I smiled blinking away the tears that welled up in my eyes , my heart aches in pursuit of what used to be and all together could be .

I glanced at the thick wooden door . Black , the darkest shade of its kind, a collie that was conceited yet open .

I tried my best to dislike William Knight but who could blame him . Like all of us he had been forced to be this way , to raise his walls , also like me did not want the life he had .

Who was I kidding , how could he not like his life , if not love . He lived in a castle filled with maids to attend to his call. He ate whatever he wanted ,when he wanted . He never had to work for his daily bread ,he would always be called Sir and never swallow any insults. He would forever be the lion of this jungle if not life . Forever an elite to be lionized among the poor and hapless. For me I'd forever be the girl he could drag out , forever be a parasite on what he didn't work for or deserve .

Forever a peasant .

~~~~~3rd POV~~~~~

She didn't know what to do. Her gaze fixed on the black mahogany door, she slowly brought her chapped nails to her quivering lips. Her lips quivered when ever she began to cry, they were like wind before rain or pain before birth. Yes, one of those things . She'd just been humiliated. Kicked out like a wet dog, her quivering lips were now between her white teeth.

She bite hard. She could now taste the bitter-sweet copper taste of blood. She still felt uneasy.

What exactly did she expect from the young man. She shook her head at the silly picture that appeared in her head. Milk and cookies. She'd been gifted enough with a comfortable room of her own more Homely than she ever had.

Grateful. She was utterly grateful.

Of course she was working for it. Still.

Her lips had stopped quivering by now and her wound had stopped bleeding . She didn't cry. She even felt a shed of happiness, she even smiled a bit. She was being silly , she was brought here to be a maid and that was it , she simply had to stop being friendly to him. She wasn't Jenny.

Jenny. The simple thought shook her a bit. 'Oh my! Jenny . I've still not met her" she thought to herself" ironically her stomach growled just at the thought . She had not had breakfast before she arrived and it was past noon.