The Baby Blues (Part 20)

Love is overrated-

The next day school was torture. David met me at all of my classes and walked me to the next; he was bugging me about going out with him tonight. "I can't," I finally said. "If I go out with you then I don't have a babysitter, Libby has that photo shoot thingy." David smiled and took a bite of his bagel, "Who said anything about a babysitter? We made her together so why shouldn't she come on our date?' I sighed, he had me now. "Fine," I said. "Hayden and I will go out with you, happy?" His face brightened and he smiled his usual bad boy-cocky smile.

"Ecstatic." A chair scrapped next to us and I looked up to see Kelly; could my day get any better? "Hey guys, how are things?" "Good," David and I mumbled together. Kelly nodded and tasted her mashed potatoes. "Oh David, Mr. Patel wants you to come to the band room some time today, he has to talk to you about something." I arched and eyebrow and looked at her. "I didn't know he was here today." Kelly's smile faltered, "He wasn't, but he stopped by to do some work." I nodded, "Oh, cool. Maybe I'll stop by and see him; we have to choose a song for the upcoming pep rally." Kelly frowned, "He's not going to be here long, actually," She turned to face David. "It would be best if you went to see him now." David sighed and looked at her for the first time since she sat down, "Fine, whatever. I'll see you later." He said to me and knelt down to kiss my cheek. I shook my head and smiled at Kelly's evil grin--she stood up and followed after David.

I rolled my eyes and dug into my lunch. Clay joined me right before the bell rang, "So do you know anything about this photo shoot Libby is doing later?" I shook my head, "Nope, all I know is we were tanning naked yesterday for it." Clay's eyes got huge, "Seriously?" I nodded, "Yea, well I had on my underwear, but her and Clarissa were naked and then we skinny dipped." Clay's mouth fell slack and then he shook his head. "So you don't know anything? She's being weird about it." I shook my head again, "Nope, sorry. And you know, about Libby, I think she really does care about you...she's just weird about showing it." Clay sighed and touched my arm, "Thanks."

I watched him walk off to his friends and I groaned, one more class before I could go home. David showed up to class ten minutes late and he looked pissed. "What's up?" I asked him when he sat down next to me. He shook his head, "Nothing..." I glared at him and then straightened up in my seat. "Whatever, I don't want to know anyway." He looked over at me and sighed, "Okay, its Kelly. Mr. Patel wasn't even here, she was trying to seduce me." I laughed but quickly turned it to a cough when the teacher gave me a dirty look. "Seriously? Wow, she really grew up this summer"

David looked at me, "Tell me about it. She can't accept that I don't want her." His eyes caught and held mine for a minute and I felt my cheeks heat up. "Yea--"I managed to mumble. "Hate it when people don't get that." I sat through the rest of the class period trying to decide if I felt jealous about Kelly coming onto David or not; I decided, after the bell rang, that I wasn't jealous...but not for the reasons you might think...I wasn't jealous because he turned her down and I knew with certainty that he didn't like her.

I got to David's at five pm on the dot. He was standing outside, on the porch, smiling. He handed me a single, blue rose--ah, he remembered my favorite. "Thanks." I said, handing him Hayden. "Ma ma." She said to him, grabbing his hair. He shook his head and looked at me, "I'm going to loose my man card if she keeps calling me 'ma ma.'" I laughed at him and mocked punched his arm, "You loose your 'man card' by saying man card." David rolled his eyes at me and smiled, "So, are you ready to go?" I nodded and started towards my car.

"Where are you going?" He asked. "My car..." I said, trailing off. David shook his head, "We're taking my dad's car, he let me borrow it." David seemed to light up as he mentioned his father's car. He walked us over to the garage and opened it with a button. "You have a car seat?" I asked. "Duh," He said. When the door lifted I saw the car he was talking about; it was an old blue, Mercury Cougar--blue with a black stripe down it. "Wow," I said. "Jam..." I cut myself off. I was about to say 'Jamie would love this' because he would, but I wasn't going to talk about Jamie. David looked at me like he had known what I was about to say.