Black Coffee and Cream: Josh and Zariah

Word count: 1371

Word count: 1371

"You know what, Z, I don't think we should be here. Ion like it. It's too... energy consuming." Zariah Cambell's best friend, Michelle confessed. The two girls were in the heart of Cleveland, Ohio with thousands of others just like them. It was the one year anniversary of the shooting of one of their classmates, Josiah Smith, and the whole city was aflame. Glass broke every second, stores were locking up, people ran wild in the streets, police came in full armor and a plethora of weapons.

"Are you sure it's not because of the tear gas or heavily armed officers standing in our way?" Zariah snapped.

"I said what I said. I want to go home!"

"Mich, we are here for Josiah. He would've been there for us."

Michelle gave her a look.

"For me." Zariah corrected herself. A year ago she was in love with him. He was the dreamiest boy she'd ever known that sometimes she didn't believe he was real and that he liked her back. For one thing, he was as fine as sand on the smoothest beach and had piercing green eyes (and he wasn't even mixed!). He was smart, got straight As and spoke correct English. He treated her parents with respect. He liked her friends. He wasn't demanding of her and let her do her own thing when she wanted to. She didn't give him any outrageous rules either. Once in a while, he showered her with gifts after saving up for months from his job at a bookstore, the same place where they first met. Zariah sighed.

"Stop thinking about Josiah."

"He's literally the reason we're here."

"Stop thinking about your relationship. Think of the cause. BLACK LIVES MATTER!" Michelle yelled in an officer's face. He didn't move but she could see the irritation in his eyes. "You think we should've brought signs?"

"That would've slowed us down."

"Right, right. When are we leaving?"

"When everyone else does," Zariah said proudly. She owed it to him. "Come on, let's go with them." She pointed to a group of people marching down the middle of the street and stopping traffic. The girls ran over to the growing group and joined in their chants.

"SAY HIS NAME! SAY HIS NAME! SAY- Oomph!" Zariah fell forwards and onto the concrete.

"Z? Z!" Michelle bent down.

"Aye, 'lil mama--"

"If you finish that sentence I will go find your momma and let her deal with you." Michelle snarled. The guy quickly moved around them. "Girl, what happened?"

"Someone pushed me." She said. She felt her unusually moist face. She looked at her hand. "Please do not tell me that is blood."

"I'm afraid if I start lying to you I won't stop."