Bad Boy and the Brains: Jace and Ariana

Word count: 1312

Ariana flipped through her book for the one millionth time that night. She just couldn't focus! It was probably because the school hottie, Jace Turner, wouldn't leave her alone. And it didn't help that they had lockers right next to each other. Ugh! Why was her life so complicated? And on top of that, she was ugly and she had to turn in a perfect science project or else she would fail. And Ariana Rivers doesn't fail any of her academic activities. 

She adjusted her goggles and continued measuring her liquid. "Okay, so this mixed with liquid nitrogen give me..." Plop! A huge puff of smoke rose, clouding her vision. Once the smoke cleared she looked down. Nothing happened. "UGH!" She flung her goggles towards the door. 

"Ow! Honey?" My dad called from behind my door. 

"Ohmygosh! I'm so, so, so, so, sorry dad! I didn't mean it, I swear!" She rushed. 

He chuckled. "It's okay. I'm sure it wasn't personal. Anyways, honey, you've been working all day. Why don't you go to that party the Turners are throwing?" 

 Why don't you go to that party the Turners are throwing?" 

"How did you find out about that?" 

"Everyone loves the Turners." He shrugged. "I'll drive you. No ifs, ands, or buts about it either." 

"Daddy!"

"Or 'Daddys'.  Get dressed! I'll be in the car!" He shouted, going down the stairs. She groaned.  

"I hate parties

"I hate parties. Why do they exist? It's inhumane." She mumbled as she got in the car. On the way to the Turner house, her dad tried to make small talk, but she was not having it. She was scared. She'd never been to a party before and now she was being thrown into the biggest party of the year like a lamb to the wolves. 

The sound of a pulsing base and the sight of neon lights let her know they were in the right place. 

"Honey, I know why you've been into your studies so much and I get it. Your mom..." His voice broke. "She loves us. But she wouldn't want her decisions to impact your social life this much." 

"Dad, I'm fine being by myself. It's quiet, it's dependable, it's safe, it's better this way. Working gives me something to do so I don't think about it too much." Ariana whispered, pulling back a stray piece of hair.