Three

Emma POV

I spotted Xander on the other side of the Great Lawn, talking with Griff. Griff looked worried, and Xander had a serious expression on his face.

Seeing them so worked up over something, I got worried, and walked over to them, "what's going on?" I asked warily.

"Your mom told your dad that Zuri and I were dating, so now your dad is looking for me," Griff's eyes were full of fear.

"Why are you so scared of him? Once you get to know him, he's the best!" I announce.

Out of nowhere, a black rope fell out next to me, and a figure wearing a black bulletproof suit dropped down next to me.

I grabbed onto Xander's arm, and Xander pushed Griff behind him protectively. The person pulled off their mask, revealing my dad.

"Oh, hi dad!" I smile.

"Hi Emma, Xander. I'm looking for a boy. His name is Griff," dad looks between the both of us.

Behind Xander, there was a small shriek, which was undoubtedly Griff.

"What was that?" Dad narrows his eyes at Xander.

"Um-"

"Yeah! What was that? Camp Kikiwaka has all kinds of crazy animals, right Xander? Tell him about the thing you encountered when you were 10," I cut in.

"Um.. What thing?" He whines when I elbow him, "oh yeah! That thing. Man it was wild. It ate the.. Food supply for the summer, and then.. Killed the horses," Xander hesitates.

"My gosh that horrible!" Dad exclaims.

Just then, Zuri walks up, "hey dad!" She sees griff behind Xander, "um, Xander, why is Griff behind you?"

Xander freezes, then moves, acting like he didn't know griff was there, "oh hey, Griff."

Griff smiles nervously at all of us, trying to avoid eye contact with dad.

"So Zuri Zenobia Ross, this is your boyfriend?" Dad asks, arms crossed.

"Yup," Zuri smiles.

"Young man, come with me."

Griff gives us a frightened look before turning and following my dad. When they're gone, Xander and I both give Zuri a look.

"What?! He couldn't have hid from dad forever," Zuri defends herself, crossing her arms.

Griff POV

"So, from a friend I've heard you've been to juvie. Multiple times," Mr. Ross announces, dropping a gold of papers in front of me. He brought me into his wife's cabin to talk in private.

"How do you have all this information?" I ask, flipping through the papers. File after file, it lists everything about me. Allergies, crimes, my past.. my family. I stop on that page, but it only reads my adoptive family, not biological.

"I just want to be sure my daughters are in safe hands," Morgan says.

"Well, don't worry about it because that was my past. I'm a changed person," I state.

"I'll believe it when I see it," Morgan announces.

"Wait, what?"

"I'll believe you changed, when you do something that shows me you've changed."

"I have changed. Sir, if you don't mind me saying, I would do anything to make sure Zuri is happy!" I stand up out of my chair.

Morgan looks at the ceiling as if he's contemplating what I've just said, "alright."

"Alright?" I question.

He stands up, and the room fills with people dressed in all black bulletproof uniforms. One other person who is dressed like Zuri, although looks nothing like her, has their hands and feet bound to a chair.

"Prove it. Save my daughter from the kidnappers."

"Is this what you did with Xander?!"

"No, I did.. Something else with him," Morgan turns and walks out of the room.

"You have five minutes to save me, griff! They're gonna kill me!" 'Zuri' whines.

"Is this seriously what I have to do to get your dads trust?"

The supposed kidnappers spring into action, jumping at me, trying to knock me down. I dodge them, trying to avoid getting hit, when someone grabs me from behind.

I cry out in surprise, getting thrown off balance and into the table I once sat at with Morgan.

"I'm beginning to regret coming this summer," I wheeze.

One kidnapper grabs me and throws me in the opposite direction of 'Zuri', sending me into the counter in the kitchen. I climb the counter, kicking the kidnapper who threw me in the chest, sending him flying to the floor. Two more try and get me from the counter, but I knock them down with their partner. All three of the kidnappers are on the floor, struggling to get up. I jump over them into the direction of 'Zuri' and quickly untie 'her'.

As soon as 'she's' untied, a clock goes off, and Morgan walks back in. He looks from the kidnappers, to 'Zuri' and back to me.

"Good job, son. Now, follow me, I've got some questions for you."

"Please tell me there's no more fighting involved," I pant.

"Not today, I don't think," he turns and walks out, leaving me out of breath. I sigh heavily and follow him out the door. Thinking one thought.

Zuri is worth this.