Chapter Two

"Are you serious?" I complained when Keith showed up in my room, that beeping ringing from behind him like last night. "We're doing this in my room this time?"

His jacket was hung over his arm, beads of sweat scattered across his forehead. It would've been a surprise if he hadn't been training, despite it being late. I bet he thought we'd be able to get out of whatever this was. How thoughtful of him. I rolled my eyes and sighed. It was gonna be a long night.

"I don't wanna be here either but," he motioned to the ceiling, "The princess' rules are the rules around here. Unless we want to get thrown out into space or something."

"The princess wouldn't do that." I laughed, unsure of the answer, and with Keith's slight smirk, my nerves weren't eased. "Would she?"

"All I know is that she said there would be consequences if we didn't cooperate." He crossed his arms across his chest. "And I for one don't wanna find out."

"I'm starting to think it was more than sneaking out for pizza that got you kicked out of the Garrison."

I groaned and buried my face in my bed sheets. I turned my head to look at him as he hung his jacket on top of my own. His face was completely healed from last night, unsurprisingly. Shiro probably convinced him to heal himself in one of those pods, which would also explain why his face looked soft and glowy. Not angelic, more like a child. That kind of innocent, youthful glow. It suited him, I thought. Made his eyes a little gentler. 

"Your face looks better." I mumbled. "I'm sorry I hit you, even if it was your idea."

"And I'm sorry I insulted you." He sat himself right in front of my bed, giving off even more of a little kid vibe. Reminded me of my niece and nephew back home. "I just wish you'd not focus on Allura so much."

"Hey, not my fault we're under the rule of a gorgeous girl like her." I eyed him suspiciously. "Why do you even care so much?"

"I don't like her." He grumbled. "I just don't think she's your type, alright?"

"What do you think my type is then?"

He took a minute to think about it, his eyebrows knit in concentration. I never really knew what type I went for when it came to girls, just that they were beautiful. I hadn't dated anyone back on Earth, and so far, nobody out here, alien or otherwise. Pidge was cute but in the 'I want to play video games and talk sometimes and be friends' kinda way. Allura was beautiful, and she could fight for herself, but she did have the tendency to go off on her own a lot. I bit my lip and started to rethink why I actually did like her, especially after this whole thing she had us doing. Now that I thought about it, maybe she liked Shiro. It'd make sense, she'd always had the most respect for him out of all of us. She also seemed like she'd do anything to protect him, same as Shiro would for her. Maybe they were dating and that's why she didn't flirt back? I shook my head, dismissing the thought and looking back down at Keith. He finally spoke again.

"Your type would be someone you'd never admit to liking." He grinned up at me. "Someone you hated but only to get their attention, because you wanted them to think you were better than them. Deep down, I think you flirt so much because you want them to see the stronger side of you but really, it's just so they give you their trust before you give them yours. A good way to protect yourself."

"Uh, Keith?"

"Yeah?"

I couldn't believe I was about to ask him this out loud but, why did that sound like he was describing himself? That this relationship we had, it was actually romantic? There was no way I would ever fall in love with Keith. Never. Not gonna happen.