Chapter: 1

I gazed through the open window of the cook house watching as little brown babies ran and weaved through the quarters in the distance, the innocence of their laughter hindered only by my thoughts of their bleak future. I was snapping peas and had drifted off into a day dream, as I always did. "Lazy long legs is in the clouds again" hissed Henriette, breaking me from my thoughts. "You best get those peas snapped and in the pot, less you want a lashin' if suppah late", " I'll tend to my work and you just tend to yours" I responded back to her. She twisted up her face to show her displeasure towards my remark, dropping the heavy sack of flour at my feet barely missing my toes. "Listen up gyal, I've worked this here house since I's 9 years old and I'll be 18 this comin' spring. You ain't nothin' but a Chile to me and I won't take none of your sass… Keep lettin' your britches get to big and I'll tell Massa how lazy you are and see to it he whips you good". She had often threatened me since I began working in the Big house, informing me of her hatred and envy since the first day. I turned back to the peas and continued my work, I found it wise to not quarrel to long or often with Henriette. Though she wasn't much older than me, it was secretly know amongst the other house servants she had a great infatuation with Master Collins, and even shared carnal knowledge of him in the night. He would use her pillow talk to stay a step ahead of us slaves and deep in his father's personal affairs. Most didn't trust her, but all knew she'd be true to her word and we're intimidated, faking pleasantries in her presence. I usually followed suit but some days her constant nagging or praising of Master Collins and how one day she'd bare his child and he'd buy her freedom would wear on me. The truth of the matter is he was already being arranged to be married in the fall to Priscilla LaSalle a southern belle, who's father owned a prestigious cotton and textile plantations and was a long standing business partner and friend of Master Lacoste. Collins whiskey fueled sweet nothings, were just that but it had become more evident to Henriette of this truth when Priscilla began to spend more time at the plantations and in the company of Collins for tea and various other courting practices. We all noticed the the flame of bitterness growing in her heart, especially after not being able to conceive. She'd grown meaner and often wore a ugly scowl when not in the presence of the Masters. The only person who pitied her was my older sister Josephine, often telling me how she wasn't always that way and sometimes the troubles of life could turn a heart cold… Even against your own. I couldn't relate and figured she was just mean spirited and to keep out of her way. Josephine had joined us, with fresh meat from the butchery and her presence seemed to lighten the stale air between us. "Afternoon Henriette, it sure is to pretty a day to walk about with a frown" she sang, " well it be best that pale pickaninny you call a sister do her share of the work and maybe I would "she snarled before exiting the cook house and heading towards the main house with the platter of water crest and cucumber sandwiches for the Mistress tea social. A breath of relief escaped my lips as my sister came and stood beside me, crossing her eyes and giving me a wide and goofy smile to lift my spirits.

" Don't mind her none, she just sad is all" - Josephine

" We all have sadness, that's flat out wickedness that ails her" - Amelia

"Why must she ride me so hard, bad enough Mistress works us to the bone" - Amelia

" Hush now, Rev Tally teaches us to love thy neighbor and obey your earthly master and the rewards of heaven will be granted to ya" - Josephine

" I know what he teaches and just like I asked Ma'mere why did God leave us to suffer at the hands of a master any how, ain't we all his children… ?" - Amelia

" Chile your mind is just like your mama's, always in the clouds worrying of the wrong things" -Josephine

I grew silent, the sting of Josephine's words swirling in my mind. She knew how I felt about my mama and the comparisons of us two. My mother was Josephine's estranged sister who had been sold from Ma'mere to work the house at a sugar cane plantation in the Parrish a week away from Thibodaux, Lafourche Parrish called the Collier Manor when she was only a girl. My mother had suffered a terrible fate at the hands of the Master and his cruel Mistress that left her broken, angry and even with malice towards me. Ultimately they condemn her to death, but not before she acquired the reputations of being evil, crazy and rebellious. My mother had been apart of my life up until my 5th summer, that was the year the great sadness fell over Ma'mere. It was a sunny especially humid day when the carriages arrived at Sweet Water. The men and woman docked at the grande entrance exiting their carriage, dressed in fine linen and there Sundays best. One even wore a Minister robe, but the grimace look upon his face did not favor that of a holy man. They were greeted by Master Lacoste with traditional southern customs of libations, tea cakes and cool sweet tea to escape the heat. Ma'mere had been working the cook house and had sent Josephine to warn my mother to run after over hearing what had brought the unexpected guest this way.