Exile

"It's time for you to leave."

Cold. Sharp. Straightforward. Haggar was never one for conversation, least of all with her son. 

He rose from the bed on which he had been sitting, a small bag of his belongings on his back. It was funny in a way. Even with all the resources and luxuries of the Galra empire at his fingertips, only a few items were making the trip to exile with him. 

Haggar turned and left the room, flanked by 2 of her druids. Lotor followed them to the doorway and paused. He took a last look back at his room. It might be years before he was back here again... if he ever returned at all. He spent a long moment, wanting to feel something. He wanted to feel sad, to remember happy memories and good times. But the room was cold, bare, and lifeless. He couldn't bring himself to miss it. 

A rolling meow around his ankles brought him back to reality. Kova, his thin black and orange cat, twisted around his legs. He fixed Lotor with a meaningful stare, reminding him that it was time to go. 

Lotor scooped the cat into his arms and closed the door behind him. 

He didn't look back again. 

Haggar and the druids were already a good distance down the hall. They didn't seem to notice or care that he had fallen behind. Probably because they didn't, Lotor reminded himself, hurrying to catch up. They walked in silence down the flagship's wide corridors. Commanders, lieutenants, privates and sentries all stopped and bowed as they passed. Despite their lowered heads and respectful salutes, Lotor caught more than one of them smirking at him as he passed.

He fought the urge to confront them.

That's not who you are anymore, he reminded himself. You have to earn their respect now. 

Kova seemed to know how he was feeling, and growled at everyone they passed. 

It seemed like they reached the hangar bay too soon. The druids waited by the entrance, their impervious pointed masks watching Lotor like predators. He squared his shoulders as he passed them, eyes forward and head up. Just like Haggar had always told him. 

She stood waiting for him beside a deep space cruiser. The thrusters were already humming with energy, ready to depart. As he approached, Haggar's eyes shifted toward Kova, now perched on his shoulder. 

"Leave the beast," she ordered. "You will not have time for such distractions anymore."

Lotor returned her hard stare.

"Kova stays with me. I will leave at your request, and train as hard as you command. But I am still the prince of the Galra. You would be wise not to command those above you, adviser."

He was met with a thin smile. 

"Spoken like an arrogant child who still has much to learn," she sneered. "I would suggest you refrain from showing such disrespect to your new crew. I've made certain they understand you are to receive no special treatment. So keep your precious pet if you must."

She pointed up the ship's gangplank with one clawed finger. Without responding, Lotor strode aboard, Kova swaying on his shoulder. Just before he closed the door, he heard Haggar speak one more time.

"Just remember that a prince is only as good as his followers. And believe me; you aren't worthy of anyone's obedience."

Then the door slammed, the ship launched, and they fell into the void of stardust and silence.