Hidden Talent

Getting used to Ezor wasn't easy. Lotor had hoped that she would either decide to join him and Zethrid, or else quietly hide out until they reached a safe planet.

She decided to have a little fun instead.

It started out small. Items began to disappear throughout the ship; Data pads, polishing equipment, eating utensils, and so on. The first time Lotor noticed something go missing he immediately had a suspect. But the crew was growing more and more irritated at the mystery thief.

Most evenings Ezor would meet Lotor and Zethrid in the hangar. She never said anything about her daytime activities, but smirked every time they brought up the recent thefts.

"What's wrong? You pretty boys can't keep track of your things?" she giggled, flipping a coin over her fingers. Zethrid ground her teeth angrily. She was the prime suspect of the crew, and as such had been facing even more hardship than usual. Lotor elected to ignore this behavior for the time being. It was their fault that Ezor was here in the first place, and she hadn't done anything directly harmful yet. His mind changed however the following morning.

He was sitting in the dining hall with Zethrid and a few other early risers. Without warning Rosk burst into the room, angry as a wet Vrakadin. It took no time for everyone to see what had spun him into a rage. All of the thick dark fur covering his face, ears, and neck had been shaved down to a pale stubble. He looked shrunken and wrinkly.

"WHO DID THIS?" he howled, wild eyes scanning the room. He looked like a deranged bald goblin. It was so strange it was comical. Zethrid seemed to think so too and couldn't resist a snort of laughter.

That proved to be a mistake. Rosk's eyes fell on her and his face contorted with rage.

"YOU! YOU'RE GOING TO PAY FOR THIS," he swore, lunging toward her. Lotor's keen eyes caught a glint of metal as his hand rose. Before he could react, Zethrid rose and spun Rosk to the ground. His hand, now clearly gripping a knife, lay pinned behind his back at a painful angle. He shuddered and thrashed in rage. But Zethrid was too strong. She leaned over him, eyes narrowed in dangerous anger.

"I didn't do this to you," she announced, loudly enough that everyone could hear. "I don't need to shave you to make you look weak. You do that fine on your own."

She stood up, brushing off her clothes with obvious disdain. Lotor hid a laugh with a small cough and continued with his breakfast. After a moment Rosk got to his feet. Still shaking in fury but now clutching his arm, he shouldered his way out the door.

Zethrid took her place beside Lotor once more, her breathing heavy and angry.

"I hope that pink thing is ready for a piece of my mind tonight," she growled.

.....................................................................

Ezor was waiting in the ship hangar that evening, legs dangling over the edge of a dormant fighter. She wiggled her long fingers in a cheery wave.

"Anything exciting happen today?" she asked innocently. Zethrid's furious swing at her was more than enough of an answer. The punch never made contact however. Ezor swung nimbly out of reach and then balanced gracefully on top of the ship.

"Zethrid leave her alone," Lotor sighed, closing the door behind him and sitting down wearily. "But this has gone too far Ezor."

Dropping the act, the nimble girl swung down from the ship, eyes dancing.

"Was it funny? Was he just furious?"

"Yes, you definitely struck a nerve this time," Lotor agreed grimly. "But this can't last. We're already on thin ice with the crew as it is. If these thefts and pranks continue, we're going to end up back at my father's feet."

His gaze darkened.

"And trust me, that's not somewhere you ever want to be."

Ezor's smile was replaced with a look of annoyance.

"Geez sorry for trying to have a little fun in this metal box. I guess you guys don't care that I've been following Rosk for days now. Oh and you might want to keep an eye on him. Ambitious little guy has been planning a mutiny against the captain."

"What?" Lotor said sharply. "How do you know that?"

"Uh duh! Invisibility? Heard him talking with the pilots yesterday. They're not happy with you!" she said in a sing-song voice.

Lotor's mind was reeling. The captain was loyal to Haggar, but still listened his orders and suggestions. But if Rosk took control? He repressed a shudder. Zethrid would be in trouble and he really would be a prisoner on his own ship.

"How can we trust what she says?" Zethrid challenged, eyes still locked on the smaller girl. "I thought you hated us."

Ezor shrugged carelessly.

"Sure I do. But as much as I hate you, this crew is worse. Better get cracking if you want to stop what's coming!"