5. Missing Heart

Serena’s eyes were as wide as saucers, her mouth was slightly agape and she was dazed, as if she was taken away to another world. I averted my eyes to the ground as I picked the backpack up again and placed the hoodie back in again, as well as the hearts. Serena still stood there, frozen. I looked down at my hands, realizing they were slightly tinted red now. I stepped away from her for a moment so that I could wash my hands in the kitchen sink. I took the dish soup and poured my hands full of it and started rubbing my hands together roughly,  trying to wipe away my despicable actions. But I knew that no matter how much I tried to wash them off, my crimes will always turn my hands red. I heard Serena step into the kitchen, but I didn’t turn to acknowledge her. Once I gave up on washing my hands, I took a washing cloth and used it to pull the knife from my head. To say it hurt would be an understatement. I bit my lip so that I wouldn’t scream as I forcefully pulled the knife out of my brain. When I finally got it out, I threw the knife and cloth into the sink. I placed my arms on the island counter and placed my head on top of arms. The blood started to rain from my wound once more, turning my arms, head, hair and the counter red. I cried, but I hid them from Serena who just stood at the door, not moving, but she did speak later on.

“How?” She asked, and I turned my head to her, still letting my head rest on my arms. “You had a knife to the brain, how are you alive?” I smiled sadly and stood straight up and walked to her. I stood in front of her, tilting my head slightly back so that I could see her face, because she’s a little taller than me. I took her wrist and placed her hand on where my heart supposedly was. Her eyes went wide.

“That’s the thing, I’m not…” I looked down sadly and dropped her hand. Her eyes were wide with confusion.

“What do you mean?” I looked up at her face, emotionless.

“Let’s just say something happened when  I was a child… and now I’m cursed.” She frowned at me, clearly confused.

“In what way?” She asked stepping around me to enter the kitchen.

“Well…in a way that my heart was taken away so now the only food I can eat are human hearts…well, I can eat other things obviously but it’s disgusting and doesn’t satisfy me. ” I said and bit my side lip. She looked back at me with wide eyes.

“How did it happen?” She asked and I shook my head.

“I’m sorry Serena, but I’m not going to tell you that…” I said slowly and she hesitantly nodded. She then closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She opened her eyes and looked at me with a smile, surprising me completely.

“And all this time I thought it was my cooking  that was the problem.” She said and I chuckled. I suddenly shut my right eye closed with a hiss of pain. I opened it slightly but closed it again as I saw red across my vision. I reached up and felt the blood from my head making a trail to my right eye. I should probably get cleaned up…  

“Are you ok?” Serena asked worried, hurrying to my side. I nodded.

“Yeah… I think you should go back to bed while I go clean up.” She looked hesitant.

“I’ll come and help you…” I shook my head.

“I can’t ask that of you. You’ve done enough by just not freaking out as I thought you would. We’ll talk in the morning again, ok?” She hesitantly nodded and hurried her way up to my room. I went into the bathroom where the smiley was, but this time it was all smudged. I stared at it for a few seconds before taking a long shower, to rid my body of all the blood. It took absolutely forever to get the red/brown tint out of my blonde hair. Maybe I should consider dyeing… Through this long shower,  I took the time to reflect on the past 30 minutes. I had three creepy stalkers, Serena accidently found out about my secret life, that I’m not human and don’t have a heart, and I think that when I showed her the hearts she figured out that I am the murderer who took them from the three men in the alleyway to nights ago. Seeing as the information about the five boys will probably only be released later today ( it’s about 1:30AM…) or the police won’t release it at all, seeing as I did some pretty gruesome things to the fifth boy… or maybe they will only release the deaths of the four boys and keep the fifth a secret…hmm…. I was drowning in my thoughts as I stared down at the drain, seeing red water washing down. I traced my finger over the scar which was hidden under my hair.