Ch. 3: The Day

My day consisted of trying really hard not to bang my head on a locker. I had gym first thing in the morning then one or two worthless classes before I got to lunch.

When I arrived at lunch, I looked straight at the Cullens' table. It was empty. So, I sat with a few old friends.

"Oh my God Melodey! Long time no see!" Angela said. "Yeah it has been a long time." I replied giving her a hug. We sat there for a few minutes catching up before someone calling my name broke up the reunion.

"Uh- oh, looks like someone wants you." Jessica half sighed. I turned to see it was Rosalie that had called my name and was waving me over to their table.

"Sorry guys, I'll see you later." I said as I grabbed my bag and walked away. Multiple people stopped their conversations to stare as I walked to my new destination.

Alice had pulled up an extra chair for me and so I sat down. I was between Jasper and Rose.

"So how has your first day back been?" I asked no one in particular. "Like any other." Edward replied dryly.

"How has yours been Mels?" Jasper asked in his sweet southern accent. "Swell." I replied. I wasn't able to look in his eyes without feeling weak, there was just something about him that made my insides turn to mush.

The rest of lunch was spent joking around and catching up.

The rest of the day was very uneventful. I walked out to the student lot on my own, and I was so wrapped up in my own thoughts that I hadn't known anyone was following me.

"Boo!" Someone shouted. I screamed at the top of my lungs and fell, landing on my butt.

I looked up to see Emmett and everyone else laughing their heads off. I felt my face heat up and tears form in my eyes.

"Oh come on Mel don't cry." Emmett said trying to compose himself. "You scared the hell out of me and I fell," I said getting up. "I'm super embarrassed and you expect me to be fine?"

"Well I didn't think you were gonna cry, you never have before." He explained. "Well it's been a long time since you scared me last." I wiped the tears off of my cheeks and took a deep breath.

"Sorry Mels." He said. "It's fine," I said smiling. "I will get you back." "Yeah right." He laughed. "You'll see." I said turning and walking to my car.

"Hey Melodey?" Alice said. "Yeah Alice?" I asked. "You're coming over tonight, right?" "If you want me to I will." I said. "Yay!" She squealed hugging me. We finished saying bye and left.

                              ***
As soon as I walked in the door, I was engulfed by yet another hug from my Aunt Linda. She was an older lady who always had her silver hair up in a high bun.

"How was the first day sweet cheeks?" She asked. "Good. Reunited with some old friends." "That's always good. Are you hungry?" "Not really," I admitted "actually, I was leaving soo. I just wanted to make sure you didn't mind."

"Of course I don't mind, just make sure you keep up with your school work if you're going to be hanging out with those Cullens again." She smirked. "Wait, how did you know it was them?" I asked amazed.

"I saw the way your eyes lit up when you said 'friends'. Just like when you used to talk about them before." She said. I was speechless. So instead I hugged her, and pecked her cheek before grabbing a jacket and my Keyes and heading towards the door.

"I want you back here before midnight young lady." She said shaking her finger at me. "Of course Auntie. I love you!" I shouted. "Yeah love you too Melsey Welsey"

I smiled at hearing my childhood nickname. Aunt Linda was the only one allowed to call me Melsey Welsey. I never could remember how the nickname was created but I loved it.

After driving for a little while, I pulled into the slim path leading to the Cullen house. It was even more beautiful that I had remembered.