Chapter Six

Chapter Six

When Jessie once again made her way out of the bedroom several house later, Langley was sitting at the crooked kitchen table playing solitaire.

He noticed that she had gun belt slung around her, resting low on her hips. "Going somewhere?" he asked, forcing his attention back to his cards instead of staring at her hair which was once again loose and wild around her face. He'd never met a woman who left her hair down like that all the time.

"No," she grumbled as she made her way to the table.

Langley grinned. "I take it you're not a rise and shine type of person?"

He laughed outright when she stuck her tongue out at him before taking a seat at the other end of the table. "Is that coffee I smell?" she asked.

"Yep. I had some in my saddlebags so I brewed a bit. I'll get you a cup."

Langley stood and went to the cook stove. Jessie watched him with a frown. Was he honestly just a good person? Did he do things for people simply out of the kindness of his heart? Hell, Jessie hadn't been aware that men, or people, like that even existed.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a horse outside. How in the hell had they found her? She instantly jumped to her feet, pulled her gun and put herself between Langley and the door.

"Get down!" she hissed.

She happened to look up at his handsome boyish face and realized that he once again appeared amused. "Is there any particular reason why you want to shoot the good doctor?"

Jessie frowned as she moved to the window and realized that there was indeed a buckboard with the words, 'Brinkley M.D.' painted on it. An old man carrying a black satchel was approaching the porch.

Her face colored. "How did you know it was the doctor?"

"I know the sound of his buckboard and I can smell the...." Langley's teasing died on his tongue when he saw the sharp look she gave him. Damn but he could get lost in those unique eyes of hers but he had a feeling that a man would find himself missing a few parts if he tried.

Langley shrugged. "It also helps that I can see through the crack over there."

Jessie followed his gaze. She holstered her gun as she nodded. "Yeah, well, I'm not over six feet tall so I couldn't see the damn crack." Langley chuckled. "Don't laugh at me!" she snapped.

Langley tried hard to hold his lips still. "No ma'am."

She threw her hands in the air. "And stop calling me ma'am!"

"Yes'm," Langley agreed, still chuckling as he went to the door to let Doctor Brinkley in.

"Well, I see you're finally awake!" the doctor said brightly when he saw Jessie.

"Yeah, I'm awake," she grumbled. "And just how much damn money do I owe you for doing what I could have done myself?"

Doctor Brinkley gave Langley a questioning glance. Langley simply shrugged as he lounged against the wall with amusement on his face. "She has trust issues."

Jessie fought the urge to smack him. "I do not."

"Whatever you say, ma'am."

Jessie threw her hands in the air and growled. Langley laughed. Dealing with her was a lot like dealing with Marston. There was quite a bit of hot air involved. Langley had a feeling that Jessie used her temper and anger to cover up any sign that she might actually care of have a soft spot. But she cared. If she didn't care, she wouldn't' have put her body between his and the door when she had thought there was trouble.