Worrying and Partying

One year. I turn my head and feel the bone crack in satisfaction. One year since this all went down. The year that changed my life. I fix my long wavy hair, as my anxiety rises through my chest. I turn around and my dress flies with my turn, I walk down the hall watching all the maids and servants bowing and nodding at me as I walk past them, I smile as them weakly. Some of them hold silver trays, others hold wine glasses. I continue to walk through the golden hall while playing with the design on my deep blue dress. My mind is buzzing with thoughts when I round the corner running into Alfred.
"Why Miss James you look so elegant in that dress." The old British man said.
I blush and shrug my shoulders. "Thank you Alfred." I look behind me and bite my lip.
"Nervous?" Alfred asks leaning closer to me.
"A little. I've never done a speech in front of so many... rich people." I say looking at my hand.
"Master Wayne said you didn't have to do it." Alfred said as we started to walk together in the halls of the manor.
"I know, but it's his 32nd birthday, and one year since we meet. I really want to do this." I say smiling.
Alfred stops in his tracks, "Has it really been a year? Well now." I giggle at Alfred but my mind is still buzzing. Alfred notices.
"He'll be home in time Miss James, don't you worry. He's never let you down now has he?"
"Well yes, that one time I asked him to get me water but he didn't." I say trying to lighten the mood. Alfred chuckles and walks down the hall to the kitchen. I sigh and make my way to the party hall, where people are already arriving. My stomach hurts and my palms are sweaty as I watch the people get wine and chat with others, probably about gossip. I groan and walk back into the empty hall and start to pace as I realize that people want Bruce and I to be out there. Then I remember me getting scared about this party.

"I hope you know I'm not good with these parties." I say as I look at my phone.
"You went to one the night the we met, did you not?" Bruce asked as he red the paper. I look at him and nod.
"Promise me you won't leave my side when people arrive. I'm not good at talking to people." I say and Bruce puts the paper down and I can see his face. His eyes go soft and he smiles.
"I promise. I won't leave your side the whole night."

'Thanks for keeping that promise, you dimwit' I yell in my head. Now here I am, about one hour into the party and Bruce is still out. People have started to ask Alfred where we were, I told Alfred that I refused to go out there without Bruce. Bruce had to go out tonight as Batman didn't he. I told him that I would go, but he said it was too dangerous.
"I think trying to kill you is dangerous enough." I said before he left. My attention goes outside when I see a big black jeep looking car go to the back of the manor. He's back. I run down to the library and play a few notes on the piano as the bookshelf opens to revel an elevator. I get down to the bottom and see the Bat-mobile and Bruce stumbling out of it. I huff in frustration and stomp over to him.
"Where the hell have you been! People are waiting for us." I yell my voice echoes in the cave. "You promised you would be here. Don't think that-" Bruce takes off his mask and whines in pain. I shut my mouth as he starts pulling off his armour in pain.
"Bruce are you okay?" I ask taking a hold of his arm. He rips off his chest armour and he revels a gun wound in the side of his hip. I gasp and lead him to the table and he sits on it. I hold the wound to stop the bleeding and get a closer look.
"Your lucky it's only a graze wound." I say as I reach for the needle and thread.
"Take your shirt off." I demand and get to work.

About an hour later I have finished stitching up Bruce's wound and Alfred has finally come down to the cave.
"You must all come upstairs quickly. People are none stop asking where you two are." And then he hurried back upstairs. I sigh and look at Bruce.
"I'm sorry Chrissy. I tried to get home in time but-"
"We'll talk later. Get your suit on, we've got a party to attend too." I say running back upstairs.

The crowd claps and bright smiles appear when me and Bruce walk in the room, arms linked, ready for my speech. At least I hope. Bruce and I stand in the middle of the room and the room goes silent.
"Sorry I'm so late. Got into some trouble with the girlfriend." Bruce says smirking at me. First off, I've never done this before, been the main event at a party. Second, he's making me look like the bad guy. I glance at Alfred who glares at Bruce. Bruce looks over at Alfred and clears his throat.
"I would like to thank you all for coming and drinking my booze." Some people laugh. "But I would love to thank my amazing girlfriend Chrissy James, for helping the planing of this party. But most importantly for being for me this past year." The crowd cheered and clapped as Bruce turns to me, that's the cue. For my speech. I step forward as Bruce steps back. I sallow the lump in my throat as all eyes are on me.
"Uh, thank you all for coming and I hope you are enjoying yourselves." I look back at Bruce who nods his head, I turn back to the crowd and look at everyone.
"I would like to give a toast. To my boyfriend Bruce Wayne. May he forever be faithful, loving, and..." I stop and my mind goes blank as my eyes stop at someone. I lock eyes with his familiar blue eyes. My heart drops and I feel even more sick. I see the people start to whisper. I look back to where I saw those blue eyes but he's gone. I blink a few times and bite my lip as tears form in my eyes.
"To Bruce." My voice cracks and I hurry away into the hall. Bruce soon follows as I start to bite my nails.
"Chrissy are you alright?" Bruce asks as we stand in the gold balls alone.
"I saw him."
"Who?" He asks holding my shoulders.
The tears sting my eyes and it makes my vision blurred.
"Luke."