Spinners End

"No one can know of course." Snape said to Dumbledore, the old man nodded and then shifted is gaze back to the young boy who had fallen asleep in Snape's arms.

"Once he's older, he will have to return to his Aunt." Snape shot Dumbledore a glare, showing him that he disagreed. "He needs some form of magical protection Severus, his Aunt can provide that."

"Along with his Uncle's beatings?" Snape snapped.

"The boy will be stronger, and more powerful with his magic. And if need be we can send someone to watch him." Snape knew Dumbledore was thinking of the Order. Most of them and scarpered by now. Sirius Black was in Azkaban, Peter, Dorcus, Potter and any others were now dead. The Longbottoms were in St Mungos. There was hardly anyone left.

"And until then?" Snape asked

"You will watch over the boy, and he will return to Hogwarts once he is of age. Where will you take him?" Snape was wondering this himself, and thought a while before answering.

"My home in Cokeworth, Spinners End." Dumbledore nodded.

"And you will have your own wards up I presume?" The Headaster asked.

"Yes, it is very secure, only you and I know of its location." Snape replied, he looked down at Harry, he really did look like his father, this seemed to aggravate him and almost regret his decision to take care of the child.

"Good. I believe this discussion is over, I shall visit every once in a while, to see how the boy is. Oh and Severus." He said as Snape stood up to leave. "if you need anything don't be afraid to ask." He nodded grimly and strolled out of Dumbledore's office before Disapparating.

Severus now stood looking across the road at the rows and rows of brick houses, their windows dull and blind in the darkness. He scowled at the street before walking trough his old front door, trying to conjure up the memories of his childhood in his mind.

The door opened to his front room, which consisted of many books and two uncomfortable looking sofas. Harry was now awake and Snape sat him down on one of these sofas as the young boy looked around confused. Snape straightened up and paced the small room.

"Potter." Snape said, the boy flinched, causing Snape to feel uneasy. "You have been placed in my care, and I will be your guardian. You will live here with me. I have a few rules. Don't go in the basement while I'm working, if you need me knock on the door. Don't go in my bedroom, I will show you which one it is in a minute. If you are hungry, ask. And lastly you don't need to be afraid. Okay?" He stopped pacing and stared down at the boy.

"Okay." He coughed, his voice was raspy as if he'd just woken up, or hadn't talked in a while. The latter was probably be the case. "Will I have to go back?"

"Hopefully not." Snape replied. Seeing the tears in the childs eyes he quickly changed the subject. "My name is Severus Snape, I was a friend of your mothers." His eyes lit up at that, out of fear and curiosity.

"I'm not supposed to talk about her. Or my dad." Harry told Snape. "My Aunt said that they died because of me." Snape had never felt so much rage. How dare she put so much guilt on such a small child, but Harry wasn't finished. "She said they died in a car crash, that's how I got this scar." He pointed to his forehead.

"Your sorry excuse for an Aunt was lying. Their death was not your fault and they definitely did not die in a car crash." Snape sighed and pinched the bridge of his large nose. He now had to tell the child the true circumstances of his parents death. "Have you ever done something you can't explain? Something strange?" Harry nodded.