Chapter 4

"Good morning sweetheart. Did my little man sleep ok."

Luke had finally woken up and I had already sterilized his bottles. Thank God. He had slept longer than usual today. Luke would always wake up before me but today he woke up way after. I felt his head to see if he had a temperature but he felt quite normal to me so I set him down in his high chair and went for the thermometer in the medicine cabinet to attain a more accurate reading.

I placed it under his arm and proceeded to make his formula. As I did I watched as he squirmed clearly uncomfortable with the whole thermometer situation. After a couple of minutes he got really agitated and started to cry. I took the thermometer out and his temperature was slightly over his regular body temp. He was probably coming down with a slight cold.

After taking his temperature and recording it on the fridge, I fed him his formula and put him back in bed to get some more rest while I got myself ready for the day. I decided to take an afternoon shift today. I wanted to spend some time with Luke, maybe tuck him in bed instead of working late and getting home after he was asleep.

I thought that I would watch some television today before going out. I mean I wasn't going anywhere special just to the mall and maybe the grocery store. There wasn't much on at 9:00 a.m so I decided to watch re-runs of 'So you think you can dance' but after five minutes I had no idea what was going on in the show; all I could think about was 'Mystery Guy' and his contract. I hadn't thought about it a lot since last night but the more I did, I couldn't help but see what a great offer it was and how it would really help me and Luke out in our lives. I could put most of it in a savings account and use it to put Luke in a good school. Those pros definitely outweighed the cons. But that's right the cons. Well, first on the list was the fact that I didn't even know this guy. I mean seriously this guy could be a freaking serial killer or something. Secondly, he didn't exactly say what he wanted me to do as his wife or why he even wanted me to be his wife in the first place.Thirdly, he didn't know I had a son. But the money was really, really good. I really hope this didn't make me a bad person. I had made a decision. I went to look for the card 'Mystery Guy' gave me last night to call him.

I searched for what seemed like forever then I finally found it stuffed under a cushion in the couch. But despite the fact that i now had the crisp white card in between my fingers I was now terrified to dial the numbers that stared back at me. What would the outcome of this single phone call be and would this outcome be in my favour.

Then I made the call the anticipation rising in me as each ring filled my ear. The wait was almost unbearable, then he answered. His voice was one of authority and confidence. Yet, I was petrified by the mere words he spoke.

-"Hello."
"Uh-yes I uh was just calling to speak to uh---"
-Who? To speak to who?"
"Well I'm not sure but I know its you. You came to my house last night. Well, actually this morning and uh-"
-"Oh. I know who you are."
-"Your the girl from the restaurant aren't you."
"Yes."
-"Well. I am surprised you called, Vanessa."
"How do you know my name?"
"It was on your apron, back at the restaurant."

I could hear the smirk in his voice. It was infuriating.

-"Well, since you called I guess you have made your decision."
"Yes I have."
-"Ok. How about you meet me at the coffee shop a block down from our building in an hour."
"Ok. But make it two hours."
-"Whatever you say sweetheart; just make sure your there."
"Don't call me that."
-"Bye sweetheart."

Then he was gone. Just like that. Gosh, this guy was arrogant and he knew just how to get under my skin but looking the way he did that didn't seem like a problem. I decided to start getting ready for the meeting. I went in the bedroom and Luke was still awake. He was playing with his toes and gosh was he adorable. I watched him for a while clearly distracted from my previous task. He was laying on his back struggling to get them in his mouth but got it done a couple of times which was hilarious.