Chapter 1 ~ Sickly

When you arrived back at the Manor, things seemed different. Unexpected. The Earl was as grumpy as you thought he would be, but you weren't expecting the array of sweet treats and toys placed out just to amuse you whilst your father spoke business. Although you wanted to say something about Lord Phantomhive's awful attitude, it would have been incredibly rude after the trouble he'd gone through to keep you happy, so you stayed silent. ...About everything. Even the strange way he watched you eat as if it were the most important thing in the world. And the way when you left he subtly, yet definitely clawed your dress without anybody else noticing. This visit had cemented your thoughts on the Earl. You didn't like him one bit. He was rude, he was stuck up, and he made you more uncomfortable than you'd ever been in your life. However, you were well aware that for your father's sake you'd have to sit through many more horrific business meetings, and you found yourself wondering how a thirteen year old could carry such an ominous aura everywhere he went, but he managed it somehow.

        Skip three years and things haven't changed much. The now sixteen year old Earl makes no attempt at conversation with your fifteen year old self, and opts instead for merely staring at you. You still hadn't worked out if he viewed you as a threat, or if he just happened to look at you like that because he was in thought. One thing had changed though. You were getting sick. You'd developed a terrible hearty cough, and couldn't stand up for very long without becoming extremely tired. You truly were a dainty, fragile little thing now. It had been a gradual development, but it seemed it would only get worse. And just to aggravate things, every time you coughed, the Lord would pay utmost attention to you as if you were the most amusing thing in the world. His eyes payed you a lot of attention anyway nowadays though. Now that you were developing into a young lady.

        Your father found it increasingly difficult to drag you along to business meetings and look after you at the same time. This was the last time you would encounter the Earl... or so you thought.

        "Lord Phantomhive. I trust you understand that (Y/N) can no longer come along with me to our meetings. No more will you have to provide an extra room and go through troubles to accommodate someone so unimportant to you. As you know, she is very sick, so after this trip she'll be staying at home. I trust this is in your best intere-"

        "No!" This was the first time you'd ever heard the young lord snap, and he seemed to notice that all eyes were now on him, as he let out an awkward cough before continuing. "That won't be necessary. She can stay here. She'll receive only the best care, and you can come to visit often. I see no reason for her to be cooped up at home. It's not her fault she's sick anyway, so it's the least I can do." Your interest peaked at the last sentence. A most curious one that didn't quite make sense. Your father seemed to notice too, but brushed past it quickly.

        "Really, we wouldn't want to trouble you-"

        "I quite insist." Once again your father was interrupted. This time however the Lord's words were accompanied by a deathly glare towards his business partner. Your father was not a weak man, but he must have been caught at a moment, since he gave in nearly straight away.

        "...Yes.. uh... very well then. She'll stay here... with you." He didn't seem entirely happy to let you go, but if you were entirely honest, neither did the Earl. You spent the rest of dinner wondering why.