Chapter 2

The rest of the day whizzed by in a blur. The few people that I'm vaguely friends with would come up to me and wish me a happy birthday. To this I'd thank them and walk away, knowing that Aiden would give me all of the chocolates he's received today because he needs to stay in shape for the football team. He's their co-captain and starting quarterback. The main reason I hate my birthday is actually because of my brother, and he doesn't even know it. I know this makes me sound stuck-up and greedy but, my birthday is supposed to be about me. Aiden gets all of the love and attention all year round and it just gets magnified on our birthday.

I whipped out my new rose gold iPhone and called Mark in hopes that he could take me home instead of Tyler. He agreed without hesitation and appeared in the south campus carpark in less then a minute. I plopped into the passenger seat of his black Mercedes and started driving before I could even put my seatbelt on.

"How's your birthday been so far?" He nudged me in the shoulder playfully but I could see the concern in his baby blue eyes. I rolled my eyes and shook my head in return. "Come on honey, it couldn't have been that bad. Oh yeah and when we get to your place I need you to this on." He pulled out a satin red spaghetti strap dress that ends mid thigh.

"Why?" I scoffed

"Because its for my fashion class. I also need to do your hair and makeup, you're my model." He winked and I rolled my eyes, knowing that I wouldn't be able to get out of this one. On the short drive back home, I studied the mini mansions as they went by in a blur. Pinesville was quite a small town, with a population of 15 000. However, we were a very wealthy town. Soon we were back at my house, where I dragged myself out of the car and ascended the stairs of my large house. No one was home so I didn't hesitate to blast my music through the hallways whilst being Mark's 'model'.

After no less than half an hour, he was done. I walked over to my full-length mirror, prepared for the worst. But what I saw wasn't the worst, I actually looked kind of pretty. "Bitch you're slaying my entire existence." Mark said, clasping my shoulders and talking to me in the mirror. "I'm a miracle worker! Look how the dress wraps around your body... even though it was pretty hard to get it to fit your big tits bitch."

"I'm only a D cup!" I shot back, grabbing my boobs.

"Exactly. Now go get me some food. Your guest is starving riley, that's bad hospitality." Once again, I rolled my eyes and playfully hit his arm as he fell back on the bed. I wonder if all this eyerolling will make me go blind one day. I pondered this as I jogged down the stairs and swung around the corner into the kitchen.

"Riley!" Aiden was leant against the counter with a cheeky grin stretching ear to ear.

"Hey baby brother" I said, opening up the fridge and squeezing way too much whipped cream into my mouth.

"You're literally two minutes older than me." I shrugged and went to the pantry to retrieve some chips when Aiden coiled a hand around my wrist.

"What are you doin-"

"Shut up" he chuckled, now holding his gigantic hands over my eyes. After what seemed like hours, but was actually mere seconds, he removed his hands off my eyes. But of course, he didn't do so without running me into what seemed like all the furniture our house pososses. When I was finally given back the gift of sight, I saw streemers and snacks and a banner that said "Happy sixteenth A&R"

"SURPRISE!" I nearly had a heart attack when what looked like our entire sophomore class and some people from other year levels jumped out from behind anywhere they would have been hidden. I looked to Aiden for any kind of explanation but he just smiled proudly. I enveloped him in a hug, not caring about the audience watching our moment.

"I realised that for the past seventeen years, I had been the centre of attention. Mark told me how you felt and it broke my heart knowing that the person I love most would be hurting that much because I've had my head up my ass this entire time." He looked down at me with a loving smile with tears evident in his eyes.

"I love you too Aidey" I gave him a kiss on the cheek and swiftly swung around to be greeted by all of the party-goers. Mom and Dad wouldn't be home until tomorrow morning. They're both surgeons and spend more time at the hospital than they do at home so this party is completely adult free. My eyes met Tyler's who was leaning against a snack bar, drinking a beer. I quickly broke eye contact and looked at the ground instead, not forgetting what he did to me today. He made his way toward me in his own painfully slow time and stood right in front of me.

"Hey Al" He was the only one who called me that. My middle name is Alexandra so he calls me Al for short. I shot him an icy glare and shifted my weight to one side. I notice him looking me up and down, biting his bottom lip.

"Like what you see?" I asked, imitating his words from this morning.

"Very much so" he replied, consequently making me blush crimson. "Anyway um, look I'm sorry about today. I know that I embarrassed you but when some of the girls told me I had made you cry I felt horrible. I took it way too far, especially on your birthday." he looked surprisingly guilty and I knew that he felt bad because whenever he's feeling a strong emotion he runs a hand threw his hair. "I got you something." I looked at him in shock as he presented a neatly wrapped box.

"You didn't have to do that..." I shifted my weight again nervously.

"I wanted to. Please just open it." Okay, this was really really weird. Tyler Cooper has pretty much bullied me for the past year and a half, so why was he giving me a birthday present? Nonetheless, I opened it and gasped in shock.

"Tyler..." I whispered.

"What? Do you not like it? I'm sorry I didn't know what else to get you.." He started to babble but I just smiled at him, making the words stop instantly. "Okay so... you do like it?"

"I love it." this earned me a gigantic grin which mirrored my own. "Can you help me put it on?" I took the gold chain out of the box and put it around my neck. Turning around, I handed the clasps to him to do up for me while I held my lightly curled hair out of the way. I felt the gentle brush of his chest against my back and his breath on my neck, making me shiver and my hairs stand on end. But, instead of being in a 'omg tyler is gonna push me in the pool' kind of way, it was more of a 'omg Tyler is touching me' kind of way.

When he was done I turned around and looked down at my new gold necklace in the shape of 'Riley'. It was in my swirly handwriting and had a small diamond at each end of the word. It was a VERY expensive gift. I looked up at him with the smile that still hadn't left my face and gave him a big bear hug

"Thanks Ty" I muffled into his chest, breathing in his cologne with a hint of chocolate. I unwrapped my arms from his torso and proceeded to the drinks table, holding onto my new necklace for dear life.

Why did he care enough to get me a present?

Why does he always smell and look so good?

Why was he being so nice?

Wait. Why do I care?

I need a drink.

Hope you enjoyed kiddies!

-Hollie xoxo