𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑜𝑛𝑒.

( 01. ) MURDER OF CROWS!

           DREAD CREPT DOWN HER BODY LIKE A SHIVER ON A COLD MORNING

           DREAD CREPT DOWN HER BODY LIKE A SHIVER ON A COLD MORNING. Her clammy hands clutched the steering wheel tighter as she blankly stared at the 'Home of the Cyclones' sign above the school's blue doors. Following her birthday, Anaya has been counting down the days. Preparing herself for when she had to make an appearance at school again. Yet, as she sat in the building's parking lot, she desired nothing more than to immerse herself into the comforts of her bed. But, she knew better. She knew she couldn't hide from the world; no matter how much she wanted to.

           She closed her eyes and took deep, deliberate breaths. She waited until her chest rose and fell evenly and opened her eyes. They fluttered sporadically, allowing her cyan irises to become accustomed to the morning light. Her fingers began to uncurl, and her rigid muscles started to slacken. "This is only a moment." She murmured, the mantra echoing in her mind. Grabbing her backpack, she slung her book bag over her shoulder and exited her vehicle.

          Entering the building, she maneuvered effortlessly through the crowded halls, going by everyone practically unseen. Reaching her locker, she spun in the combination before taking all the unnecessary items out her bag and dumping them in her locker. Pulling out her schedule to figure out where her next class was located, she closed her locker and turned — right into another body. Anaya stumbled, cursing underneath her breath.

           "Sorry about that." A deep voice apologized. Following the voice, the girl laid her eyes upon an attractive boy with sharp features. He gave her a once-over, before letting his lips curl into a devilish smirk as their eyes met.

           Blinking at the unfamiliar male before her, she scratched the side of her neck. "It's my fault too. I wasn't paying attention." She curtly admitted. Not particularly enjoying the glint in his eyes as he eyeballed her, she attempted to move around him, only to be stopped by another male. Examining the second boy who collided with her, she took notice of the fact that he was identical to the first male she bumped into. For a moment, he observed her with the same insidious glint his brother had. Suddenly, he extended his hand, offering her a paper.

           Her forehead creased as she discerned the paper to be her schedule, something she doesn't even recall dropping. "Thanks. . ." She uttered, and with one last survey of the twins, she strode off to her first class of the day.

           Thankfully, as she entered the English class, there were still a few seats available. She chose the seat closest to the window as she enjoyed staring out and admiring the sky anytime the teacher's lesson bored her. By the time the class was full, the teacher, surprisingly, still wasn't present. Taking the time to stare out the window, her attention was captured by a single black crow waddling on ground. As if it knew she was watching it, the crow looked up and bore its beady eyes into Anaya's dark ringed ones. It tilted its head as it began to caw, the frantic croaks ripping from its tiny throat. Anaya shifted uncomfortably as charcoal orbs never diverted from her own, despite how agitated it was becoming.