Chest Aches

"What?" I say gobsmacked

"You were pregnant." Theo repeats. I shake my head.

"Was?" I ask, Theo nods with his lips in a tight line.

"You lost it in the accident. The doctor said that with all the drinking the baby didn't have much of a chance anyway." He looked down at his hands, looking at his fingers.

"No. I couldn't have been, I'm on the pill and we always used condoms." I said shaking my head. I couldn't have been, I would have known if I was.

"You were Peyton. Deny it all you want but it won't change the fact that you had my child in your stomach." I closed my eyes as tears rolled down my cheeks. Suddenly a big hand covered mine and squeezed.

"It's going to be okay Peyton, you're okay." Theo told me and a sob escaped my mouth. He leaned over me and hugged me, I didn't resist and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Oh my god. I should've known!" I cried harder into his neck. He just held me tighter.

"You've been on the pill for awhile Peyton. The doctor also told me that taking birth control while pregnant is extremely harmful to the baby. He said it was already dying when you left." That didn't help my cries. I should have known. Granted I haven't known Theo for long but this was still our baby. It was still my baby and it was because of me that it died.

"Theo I'm so sorry I lost our baby. I'm so so sorry," he made a shh sound to calm me down as one of his hands brushed down my hair.

"You didn't know Peyton, I don't blame you. I blame myself for not noticing, I blame myself for making you leave and causing you to drink your pain away and get hit by a car. You have no idea how terrible I feel for all of this."

I wanted to be mad at him, I really did. I wanted to be mad at him for the way it all ended. But I just couldn't.

I heard a knock on the door and I looked away from Theo.

"We aren't going to tell anyone will we?" I asked him quietly.

"If you don't want to, then we won't. We can keep it between us if you want." I nodded and then the door opened. My brother walked in and his face looked worn. He had bags under his eyes and he looked like he had ran his fingers through his hair.

"Hey little sis," he says hoarsely. I smile back at him.

"Hey big bro," he comes over to the bed and Theo stands up. Then my brother gathers me in his arms. Hugging me tightly.

"I thought we lost you." He whispers in my hair. I just give him a squeeze.

"I'm right here Mav," I reassure him. He grunts.

"Barely. I don't ever want you going MIA again. Do you know how scared I was? As if I don't have enough going on Peyton, you had to go disappearing on us." Maverick complained.

"I got it Mav, it won't happen again." I tell him honestly.

"Damn right it won't." He grumbled. Maverick stayed with me until I was able to be discharged. Theo was also there, along with Cam and Mateo. Mateo helped Maverick bring me down to the truck. Where Theo and Maverick started fighting about who I would be riding with. Finally I butt in and told them my choice.

"I'll be riding with Cam back to the apartment. Thank you though." Mateo helps me to the passenger seat and then closes the door once I'm seated inside.

I could see Maverick and Theo fighting. I just rolled my eyes as Camryn got in the car and started driving.

I couldn't wait to be in my own bed.

When we got home, Cam helped me to bed, gave me a pain pill, and left me to sleep. I slept the rest of the day and when I woke up it was eleven at night. The moon was high in the sky and the world was dark.

I looked to the end of my bed and saw Theo looking at me. I jumped a little, not expecting him to be here.

"How are you feeling?" He whispered.

"Sore, but I'm fine." I sat up and pressed my back up against the headboard.

"Mi pobre chica," He suddenly said after a moment of silence.

"What did I say about speaking Spanish to me? You know I can't understand," I hugged and crossed my arms. Theo smiled.

"Tal vez deberías aprenderlo," I groaned.

"Cut it out," he laughed and adjusted himself. He moved up next to me and laid his head in my lap.

"Te amo," he mumbled.

"Please tell me what you're saying Theo,"

"Someday Peyton, when I'm sure you're ready to hear it."