Ch.7 || Diamonds

"The Queen of Hearts. She made some tarts, all on a summer's day. The Knave of Hearts. He stole those tarts, and took them clean away." Rose sang an old melody as she spun in circles. How annoyed Catherine had grown of that song. It was already evening and the ballroom was not nearly emptied. If she had to sit waiting in this room while listening to that thing she was sure to not wait at all.

"Do play," said the King to a group of musicians sensing his wife's unease. The sounds of strings and flutes danced in the wind flowing the headache away from her. Cath thanked the man but he hardly considered it anything with the boredom in her tone. He faked a chuckle and pardoned himself as he rushed away towards Lady Dinah and her ladies.

Cath loathed these dances. This was the third ball of the year with two more to come. Watching the King dance with young women of the kingdom never bothered her. She fathomed why it should. Fifteen years was hardly anytime to love someone who only fell for looks. He moved on from girl to girl each one rolling their eyes just as she had at such a youthful age.

What a dream of a man. Cath held back a snort.

A spark of interest came when the trumpets flourished from the top of the thick red staircase pulling her eyes towards the white rabbit's announcement. "Presenting, First of her name, Ruler of the frozen seas, Keeper of Ice and Frost, Queen of Diamonds, Elara Thindrel!"

Catherine rose from her seat transfixed on the flourishing ombre gown that made its way down like a wave of crystals. Her jaw clenched when the Queen of Diamond's gray eyes met hers from a distance. Elera's skin was snow and hair silver like a swords with tips black as ebony. She had a sharp jaw and piercing smile. Rumours were true of her undoubted beauty rumoured to bewitch any man who laid there eyes on her. Inviting a widowed Queen was a bold and daring move not to mention a Monarch whose family had attempted to seize the throne for centuries. How foolish Cath felt now, she had become so preoccupied with beautiful thoughts of how to punish Hatta that she had forgotten all about the King's wishes to invite a Thindrel as a sign of peace among nations.

A path had cleared when both girls bowed at the sight of one another. The King made his way through placing a wet kiss on Elara's ring. Catherine knew she grimaced when the drool trickled down the Queen's finger but was smart in keeping back a disgusted glance.

Cath attempted a smile. "Elara, how kind of you to show up tonight." She gave her a quick look up and down. "What- unique choice of wardrobe."

Elara grinned. "Yes. I do enjoy the attention, and there seems to be plenty of that tonight." Cath tried her best from rolling her eyes. It was no secret the northern queen had spent her nights with many men in and out of the four most powerful nations in Wonderland. She had many suitors most of whom were powerful lords, but she never gave them any chance to share a throne.

The King giggled. "Will you be staying long?" She had just arrived and the King was already asking if she could spend the night.

Idiot.

Elara scrolled her eyes around the room. "Perhaps, Your Majesty." She smiled with pearl-white teeth. "But your winters are very mild and I've heard of how warm the weather is here. Not quite pleasant."

"How unfortunate," added Cath quickly. "Surely you must return to Diamonds soon."

"Nonsense!" Elara laughed. " I could enjoy myself a good night of festvities maybe even a dance or two. Your Grace, if you would do me the honor of being my partner tonight." She offered the King a hand which he gladly took. They pressed palms as the music began. Catherine knew it was like dancing with a child seeing his height and Elara's attempts to not fall when dipping down. Their eyes met for a slight moment She knew this was no simple visit. It was not even a planned invitation; Elara was here for something more and two Queens could not last.