Chapter 5

Bucky knew something was wrong. The night following their night in the bay, he'd called at her window. She hadn't answered him. And it hadn't been Steve Rogers on her balcony investigating the ethereal sound. It had been a frightening human with a scar across his face and black eyes like a shark. He'd kept himself hidden until the man left the light of the balcony. Then the light had gone out.

He hadn't the time to travel home between that night and when he was supposed to meet his princess and her land mate. Instead, he'd gone to the tucked away inlet and stayed there. Hidden from the passing ships, the tide brought him plenty of fish to eat in the few days he camped there. Those days were not completely carefree. His worry for her was never far and with nothing to distract himself he focused on that fear.

By the time he saw his princess and her land mate descending the rocky steps, he'd nearly gone out of his mind. She seemed lighter away from the palace. And oh so happy in her lover's arms. His dark head floated at the surface, much like a crocodile, with only his eyes and hair visible. Were you not looking for him, you'd have imagined him a rock.

But Aria found him. Her bright gaze had traveled the surface of the water. And when it lit upon his skull, her face blossomed into a vision of love and happiness. The flair of jealousy and dejection he'd felt at seeing her in Steve Rogers's arms was gone in a blink. She belonged to him just as surely. He would have to accept that they both made her happy. But could he?

*

Steve felt some trepidation as they'd rode horse back across Anthony's property to the inlet that he'd told Bucky to meet them at. She'd been excited all morning. He'd reaped the benefits of her excitement. Upon waking, she'd perfumed the air with happy and excited pheromones. Then they'd made slow love until it was time to join Tony for breakfast. Then afterward, they'd made heated, excited love.

He glanced at her, riding joyously on the horse next to him. Sweat ran down his back, stinging the healing wounds from the tracks of her nails. Her tears had sped up the healing process but they did not make it instantaneous. The memory of her nails in his back and her moans in his ear made his cock twitch.

She'd ruined him. No other woman could compare to his little mermaid princess. He would spend the rest of his days devoted to her, protecting her, fighting for her. He loved her more than life itself. What had started with her natural bewitching charm had blossomed into true feelings. She met his eyes. Her lips parted in a surprised gasp at his lust blown pupils. Blush tinged her cheeks. The scandalized picture of innocence she created made him look away.

When they arrived at the cliff side, he dismounted first then helped her down. Her lips found his in an excited kiss. She swamped him with excited and aroused pheromones and it was all her could not to throw her to the green grass and fuck her out in the open. Her heavy-lidded eyes met his, her glistening lips parted. The tip of her tongue peeked out to glide along the bottom one.

"Do you think he is here, minnow?"

"Most assuredly."

She bounced under his hands at her waist, unable to hide her excitement. "Carry me, my love?"

"Always." She blushed at the look of adoration that replaced the mask of lust. Steve dipped his head and kissed both her cheeks, running his thumb along her jaw. "My bold princess...so shy now that she's tasted my love."

Aria bit her lip. "Because I feel I am undeserving of it...perhaps." He opened his mouth to protest, but she laid a finger against his lips. " Or perhaps, I merely find myself addicted to it and so very eager for more that it is unbecoming of a lady."

Steve stepped into her. His hand on her hip squeezed none too gently as his mouth captured hers. Their tongues danced until they were breathless. She reached up to wrap her arms around his shoulders only for him to catch her wrists.