Orphans -- Chapter the First

Every good collection of fairy tales contains some basic key ingredients: supernatural creatures, tyrants, wicked step-parents, dark and foreboding woods, trickster spirits, vainglorious youths, forbidden love. We begin our collection here, dear reader, with the woeful tale of two orphans, left to fend for themselves in a cruel and unfamiliar world.

Once upon a time.....

Masha loved rock concerts

Masha loved rock concerts. It wasn't the music really; she'd been to and thoroughly enjoyed plenty of shows where the musicians really should have been mowing lawns or serving coffee or working in Daddy's lumber business or whatever generally happened to kids like that when "the band thing" didn't pan out. It was the rush of the crowd, the heady scent of so many people pressed together as their skin flushed and their blood pumped in perfect rhythm with the beat of the music. She didn't understand why they didn't attract more of her kind. She hadn't intended to attend this concert, however.

With a window of time to fill before her meeting and nerves so on edge she had rubbed a raw spot on her finger fidgeting with her ring, Masha had found her way to the large outdoor festival by instinct as much as anything. It was packed. People were pressed together in small groups near the midway, browsing merchandise, drinking, eating, flirting. She pushed past them as she headed back to the area simply designated The Blue Stage where she could hear a band already well into their current set. They had a certain driving quality that she found appealing, so she found a free spot and stopped to enjoy the show. She surveyed the throng with a wary eye, watching as pretty girls in ripped jeans and band t-shirts screamed and swooned at the front of the stage. The lead vocalist, an attractive dark-haired man in heavy eyeliner and face paint, bounced in front of them as he sang. Masha tried to relax, to lose herself in the moment but the tension refused to leave her. Still, the music was really good, and when the chorus came around again she found herself singing along.

"Run away, run away, I'll attack

Run away, run away, go chase yourself

Run away, run away, now I'll attack"