Orphans: Chapter the Fifth

"Wait," asked Jared, "so the moroi can only drink human blood but they are fine with getting along without hurting humans, but the vampires that can drink anything, they're the ones that have to be assholes about it?"

"I know it seems counter-intuitive," Masha replied, "but it also means that they have less to lose. If humans become aware of vampires and actively start fighting us, or if humans become scarce, strigoi can just find something else to live off vulnerable. We don't exactly have that option."

"Speaking of dinner," Silas interrupted, wanting to change the conversation before they were any more uncomfortable references to humans as herd animals, "I wonder when was the last time those girls ate? They look dirty and exhausted. We should probably feed them and get them cleaned up and to bed before we have to contend with Whispers again." He looked over at Shannon. "He's probably tired and hungry too."

Shannon sighed. They had gone right back to talking about him in the third person again, but he had to admit as the adrenaline wore off once more, he was realizing he was starving. He had gotten a bag of chips out of the vending machine at the motel last night but hadn't had a decent meal since a late lunch before their show yesterday afternoon. Although he wasn't feeling particularly tired now, that was probably more nerves than anything. He hadn't slept well the night before and it looked like there was another long night coming. It might be a good idea to try to rest if Masha and Silas thought it was safe. Maybe a full stomach would help him relax. "I could use something to eat," Shannon confirmed.

Silas reached into the desk drawer and pulled out a key, which he tossed to Masha. "I know the area and no one is looking for me so I'll go out for food. It's not like I keep anything here. Take them inside and let them get cleaned up. I shouldn't be long." He had grabbed a can of spray sunscreen and sprayed down what small amount of his skin was exposed while he was talking. He now donned a hat and jacket. "There's plenty of room in the fridge for your blood, better put it away before it starts to go bad," he added, exiting back through the door to the loading bay where they were parked.

Masha picked up Davrosh and gestured for Jared to pick up the unconscious hexe. "Can you get the little sleeping one?" she asked Shannon, gesturing to the young banshees.

Shannon gently scooped up the young girl from her spot on the sofa, her long auburn lashes fluttering as if she were dreaming. He hoped it was a good dream. She'd already had enough terror for one day, he was sure, supernatural being or not. Briefly, he wondered what childhood was like for a banshee. Once he had her in his arms her older sister moved to his side, dutifully following along as they made their way further into the interior of the old store. The girls seemed to understand their speech, even if they were unable to join in the conversation, and they seemed calmer since arriving at Silas's. Shannon hoped that meant they understood everyone was here to help them.

The interior of the store had been converted so that it looked almost like a regular apartment, albeit with rather eclectic furnishings. The large open area that seemed to serve as a living room was filled with mismatched sofas and chairs in various states of shabbiness. There were old rugs covering the concrete floor and a collection of lamps and tables that made the whole place look like a thrift store showroom. Perhaps it had been when Silas's had acquired it, Shannon thought. He followed Masha past a divider to find another series of rooms, and as soon as they discovered one with a bed, Masha placed Davrosh there carefully before instructing Jared to lay the sleeping hexe down next to him. As soon as the girl's hand brushed against Davrosh's she awoke with a startled gasp, scrambling away from Jared and patting her pockets for something that didn't seem to be there.