Orphans -- Chapter the Third

"Silas, I'm in trouble

"Silas, I'm in trouble." Masha leaned against the cool tinted glass of the truck window, phone to her opposite ear. The last thing she wanted to do was drag her brother back into this. They hadn't spoken in several years, not since the incident that had left him a widower and Masha with a karmic debt she was now fighting to repay. He had made it very clear he wanted nothing more to do with Davrosh, Masha or the Underground. But it felt like fate that this had all happened here, the one place Silas was. At any rate, Masha had nowhere else to turn right now. She could only hope that time had at least made his wounds less raw, even if they weren't entirely healed. "Please. I need your help. Things went sideways..."

"I'm not involved in the underground anymore Mash," he interrupted. "You know that. I can't help you."

Masha had expected the denial but pressed on anyway. "Please. Riva and Metz are dead. Davrosh is badly injured, the rest of the cell is missing and all I've got is an unconscious hexe I can't talk to and Whispers's next shipment that I don't know how we ended up with. I don't know what's happening but I know he'll be after me soon. Please."

There was a long pause. "Just call whoever was supposed to intercept them originally then. I don't need this shit. The locals here are..."

"Dammit Silas, come on. Don't you think I'd have done that if it were an option? We were supposed to be the intercept, but not for several days, and Davrosh was the only one with the information. We were supposed to be meeting to formulate our plan when they were attacked. Do you think I want this? Do you think I'm running around out here looking for excuses to turn your life upside down again? Do you think I would call you if I had any other option at all?" Masha thumped her head against the window. She didn't want to do this, didn't want to dredge things up that were better left where they lay. "I wouldn't ask if I weren't desperate. Please. It's Davrosh." There was no response. "He needs you, Silas. This is family asking. Not some random Underground operative. If it weren't for him...." she trailed off, knowing Silas didn't need reminding that Davrosh was the only reason he still woke each day. She was ashamed for even bringing it up. She never liked guilt trips, but she had to convince Silas to help them or she might as well just surrender to Whispers now.

The silence on the line lasted far longer than Masha would have thought, definitely longer than she liked. She was trying to think of another way to sway Silas from his apparently unmovable determination to stay out of the fray when his low voice on the other end responded.

"2503 Gardner. Pull around the back. Bring your own blood."

The line went dead. With a deep sigh, Masha took a moment to focus then pulled back out on the road, making a quick u-turn. Time to clean up her mess.

In the now quiet motel room, Jared and Shannon sat opposite each other on the cheap beds. Shannon had explained the events after Jared's fall as best as he could but there was little to tell beyond that. Masha had taken any real explanations with her when she made her hasty exit. But Shannon had waited all night to hear his brother's voice again and he wanted to keep him talking, even if he couldn't give him the information he knew he must be craving. He decided to change the subject.