01 | "why are you even here?"

warnings; contains slight profanity and mentions of bullying. bullying is actually a huge theme in this book. proceed with caution if you're sensitive to such topics.

~~~

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Indigo Plateau International Airport," a booming voice rang over the loudspeaker.

(Name) (Last Name) grimaced slightly, wanting to cover her ears, but unfortunately, her two hands were occupied by her bags. As soon as she was able to find her way to the exit, she sat down on the bench to turn on her phone, only to be greeted by the words, 57 unread messages, 14 missed calls. She sighed, shaking her head, but a small smile blossomed on her lips.

She moved to call her parents back, and they picked up on the first ring. "Hello?" (Name) said into the phone.

"Oh, (Name), our precious dearie, you're safe!" Her mother sounded extremely relieved; almost tearful. "I was worried when your flight got delayed!"

"Hi, Mom," (Name) replied with a giggle. "Yeah, I'm just fine. Don't worry about me, I'm just waiting for a taxi right now."

"Did you get in safely? Did any of your bags get checked? Are you sure you have all of your things?" Mr. (Last Name) said all of this very quickly, that (Name) almost didn't catch it if she wasn't already used to him speaking fast. He was naturally just a very concerned man.

"Yes, yes," she answered. "Ooh, I see a taxi! Gotta go. I'll call you later tonight after orientation."

"We love you, (Name)," her mother reminded.

"I love you too." (Name) still remembered the fiasco that happened two years ago, in which her father had lost his job temporarily and couldn't apply her to the academy. Which, she was totally fine with, but her parents wanted it for her so badly that they worked double-time in order to get (Name) in by junior year.

Before coming here, all she had been to was the public schools where everyone seemed to be friendly enough, mostly because everyone was on the same level as others. But here, she wasn't sure what to expect, especially since it didn't seem like she was the kind of girl to attend such an expensive school.

The school itself was almost too much to take in; it was easily one of the biggest buildings that (Name), being from the small town of Twinleaf, had ever seen.

"We've arrived, Miss," the taxi driver informed her gruffly. (Name) nodded absentmindedly, handing him the appropriate bills before gathering all of her luggage and stepping out of the car. She glanced to her right and saw the place she was supposed to be looking for; the Dragon Dorm.

There were already many students inside moving their belongings upstairs, and more sitting in the lobby or in the dining hall. The place was absolutely packed.

A few students shot (Name) a confused look, because coming in at the start of junior year wasn't really all that common. A few whispers scattered across the swarms of students as she made her way towards the elevator, a faraway look in her eyes.

If one was to judge only by appearances and initial personality, one would probably wonder why and how such a seemingly shy and ditzy girl like (Name) had some of the highest grades in her year. But she was truly hard-working and honest; not that too many people would give an effort to get to know her, or anyone, more than just what they show on the surface.

A pink-haired girl was already inside when (Name) opened the door. She turned around and waved. "Hi, I'm Whitney!"

"I'm (Name)." The (h/c)-haired female replied, a little nervous. "I guess we're roommates then..."