Newt imagine - requested

Newts POV:

Newt woke. His vision was blurred and he couldn't tell where he was. Is it over? he thought to himself, am I dead? Something about his stiffness told him that he was still alive. He opened his eyes slowly as he began to regain focus. He was alive alright. And worse, he was still in the Glade. Somehow he had found himself in the bed in homestead, and in the same room where the people who got stung were treated. Two figures hovered over him. They were looking at each other, making barely audible murmurs. He finally snapped out of his daze to realize who the figures were. Alby and Gabby.

Newt snapped his eyes shut before they could notice that he was awake. Bloody hell he thought, keeping his breaths shallow. Newt could only imagine what his friends must be thinking. How scared they must have been when they found his crumpled body at the end of the Maze. A sudden wave of guilt washed over him as he realized the trouble he'd probably caused his friends. How did they find me? he questioned silently. He wondered if his friends had concluded what he had tried to do. Newt wasn't sure whether he regretted his decision or not. The only thing that could make him feel remorse for his act was the pain he had inflicted upon his friends. Another wave; it was guilt again.

It was now that Newt decided to open his eyes. He let out a soft wine to indicate he was awake. Alby and Gabby quickly turned their vision towards their friend. "Newt!" they both exclaimed. Their eyes suddenly filled with relief. Alby was the first to ask questions.

"Newt, what happened to you?" he asked. Newt wasn't really sure how to answer that. Should he tell them? There wasn't much else he could say. The only other things out in the Maze are the Grievers and if they wanted to hurt him he'd be long dead by now.

"I fell" Newt replied after a long pause. It wasn't a complete lie.

"From where?" even though Alby was the one talking Newt was looking at Gabby. Her eyes were full of confusion and pain. Newt wanted to wash it all away.

"The wall" said Newt, still looking at Gabby. He knew that Alby was going to ask him how he got on top of the wall. He knew he was going to ask why he was on top of the wall. He didn't want to admit it. The whole point of Newt jumping off the walls were that his friends would never find out what he had done to himself. But yet here he was. Lying on a bed and being interrogated. He never wanted this. Not for him, not for his friends, not for anyone. All he wanted was for it to be over. So instead of answering Alby's questions Newt decided to ask his own. "How did you find me?". Gabby answered.

"It was Alby. I noticed you were late getting back but I was exhausted so I sent him to go find you". She what? Newt was surprised. Then again, Gabby is the keeper of the runners. Newt gave Alby a look that said "Is this true?". Alby apparently heard him loud and clear. He nodded in response. A shout sounded from outside the homestead.

"I gotta go" said Alby, "I still have a Glade to run", and he was off. The room suddenly went quiet, but there was something comfortable about the silence. Newt tried to sit himself up but this caused a stabbing pain to run through his leg. He winced loudly.

"What's wrong?" asked Gabby who grabbed Newt's arm. His heart jumped at the sudden contact.

"It's my buggin' leg, I must've fallen on it" Newt grunted as he slowly and carefully sat himself up to face Gabby.

"Newt"

"Yeah?"

"Why were you on top of the Maze walls?". Newt wouldn't answer that question. It wasn't just that he wouldn't, he couldn't. He was too ashamed. Too upset. Gabby spoke again; "How did you fall off?" She asked. There was sternness in her voice. Newt couldn't lie to his best friend.

"You don't want to hear it" Newt barely responded.

"Yes I do"

"Really, I know you're not much for emotions". Newt averted his gaze from his friend.

"Well I'll make a shuck exception then" Gabby said impatiently, flicking her hair out of her eyes. New knew that it wouldn't be long before she lost it. But what was he supposed to say? What if he did tell the truth, what then? Where would they go from there? Despite all of these questions running through his head Newt still reminded himself that he could trust Gabby.

"I..." Newt croaked. Maybe it would be too painful but there was no turning back now.

"You what?" there was a slight hint of fear in Gabby's tone now. Nevertheless it was time for Newt to tell his friend the truth. It came out a little louder than expected.

"I tried to kill myself, Gabby!" Newt spat out. Her eyes went wide, impossibly wide. It hurt. "I'm so sick of this shuck place, I can't stay here anymore! I feel so trapped and helpless all the bloody time. I hate everything about this place and I'd rather die than live here! All of you shanks saying that things will get better and that we'll get out one day. I just can't keep believing any longer. I give up.". Newt was sure after that Gabby would be angry. She'd probably yell at him. But that didn't happen, something different happened.

Gabby kissed him.

What was the only thought in Newt's head. His heart pounded. He was at a loss for words, but still he spoke "Gabby what-"

"No" She said, still only inches from Newt. Her face was blank, but serious. No?

"No what?" Newt barely managed. Something like a cool flame flared up inside him. He was so confused.

"I don't want you thinking like this anymore. I know I'm not exactly the most positive shank around here but we need you, understand?". Newt gulped. His heart continued to race. He nodded. "Good that" said Gabby. Newt was still in complete shock. Did she do that just to shut him up or was it for...other reasons..? The two just stared at each other for a while, both wondering what was going to happen next. Then it happened again.

They kissed again. Now Newt was really starting to wonder if all this was real. It was longer, and Newt remembered to kiss back this time. Afterwards they both looked a little stunned at each other. "Gabby," Newt started "why...why are you doing this?". She looked as if he didn't have a proper answer. After a long pause she decided to answer.

"Because I like you too much." At this point Newt was almost convinced that he was still unconscious. However; this didn't stop him from making another confession.

"Yeah...I like you too much too."