32》Viral

-Connor POV-

When Connor walked into the cafeteria, there was a huge crowd in the back left corner.  Connor glanced around curiously. What could be the center of so much attention?  As he neared, he heard the crowd buzzing with excitement.  A line was forming, and it grew longer and longer by the second, starting to snake around the side of the cafeteria.  Connor pushed past a couple of people who protested and rolled their eyes.  What he saw when he got to the front shocked him.

Everyone was gathered around the sign and sticky notes they had left there in the morning.  All available blank space on the wall was being quickly filled up.  The sticky notes had all been used up, so a couple kids were passing around their own, or tearing pages out of their notebooks and taping them to the wall.  Connor got close enough to read a couple and they truly warmed his heart.

He never knew highschoolers could be this kind.  He never knew these kids could be this nice.  It felt weird seeing the seniors, who pushed freshmen, lending paper to those very same freshmen.  Connor never knew that these cold-hearted-smartphone-obsessed-zombies, otherwise known as teenagers, could do something this meaningful and inspiring.  Connor's mind was blown.  It was incredibly powerful to see the wall of sticky notes.  Maybe the brightness of the wall could penetrate the darkness in the hell that was highschool.

He really didn't expect the students to give the sign and instructions a second glance.  Perhaps, there was some good left in them all?

Connor continued to gape at the students and the sticky notes.  Suddenly, he was caught off guard by a familiar face.  His sister stood by a nearby table, a scrap of paper and a glittery gel pen in hand.  Her face was scrunched in concentration as she jotted something down, her hair tucked behind her ear, and her backpack slung carelessly over one shoulder.

Connor approached Zoe, hoping he could scare her.  "Hey, Zo."

Zoe's hand froze and she covered the sticky note with her free hand.  "Uh hi."

Connor ducked to try to see the note but Zoe adjusted to block him.

"What're you up to?" Connor asked suspiciously.

"Nothing," Zoe flashed a smile.  Connor knew that smile.  It was her lying smile.

"Okay then," he shrugged and pretended to walk away.  He hid behind a few people and watched as Zoe slapped the sticky note on the wall and ran away.  Connor ran towards the note, irrationally fearing that it would fly away before he could read it.

He squinted to read his sister's ridiculously small handwriting.

Connor,
Even though we fight a lot, I still think you're okay.  I like seeing you happy and confidentI've always looked up to you, even when you weren't the best role model.  I hope you know I don't hate you.

Love you more than milk,
Zoe

Connor smiled.  He never knew under all the yelling, arguments, and judgemental comments, Zoe really loved him.  Maybe he could count at least one Murphy as family.

Connor glanced around the cafeteria for his sister.  He spotted her backpack by the vending machines and ran to catch up to her.  "Wait! Zoe!" He called.

Zoe turned around, only to be enveloped in a hug.  Connor was surprised at how tall she was.  She was on her way to catching up to his height.  Had she always been this tall?  When was her growth spurt?  Did Connor even notice?