Chapter 5

I look down at our hands, intertwined, and feel an electric shock run between us. I am suddenly overwhelmed by his proximity and try to focus only on the street in front of me, desperately hoping to disguise the fact that I am nearly hyperventilating. I look at him again from the corner of my eye and he seems much calmer than before, so I decide to pull us into a small café to talk.

We enter and are seated shortly, all the while receiving suspicious glances from the manager. We sit secluded in a booth near the back, away from the few customers who are occupying the small restaurant.

“So,” I begin, my voice shaking. I am acutely aware that his legs are mere inches from mine. I clear my throat and try again, determined to act cool and confident in the eyes of this fallen angel.  

“So,” I start again, “what exactly was that?” He shrugs.

“I don’t like seeing people get bullied. He needed to learn his lesson.”

“Wait so, your solution to bullying is to be a bully yourself?” I raise my eyebrows at his flawed logic.

“Well I mean, he wasn’t gonna figure it out any other way…” he trails off.

“Why does it even matter to you?” I huff. “I mean, things like that happen at school all the time, why couldn’t you just let it go? Why was it only this time? I mean, I thought you guys were friends.”

Were. And yeah well, this time was different because…it was you.” My heart stutters in my chest, my breath catches in my throat.

“W-what?” I breathe. I cannot move, for fear that I will wake myself from this dream.

“Listen…I know this might sound really strange but, well, I can’t stop thinking about you. Last night, I just thought you were pretty and all but I told myself it was stupid, I would never see you again. Then this morning, well I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say that fate’s been at work. I mean, this can’t possibly be a coincidence, am I right?”

“Yes,” I whisper, staring down at the table. I slowly raise my eyes back to his, paralyzed. Am I hallucinating? This cannot possibly be real.

“And then, when I see Jake trip you in the lunchroom, everything turns red. I was so mad, I probably could’ve killed him right then and there, if you hadn’t stopped me. I’m so sorry you saw me like that, Gracee. I bet now you’re really creeped out and scared of me anyways. I should just leave.” He stands up and begins walking to the door before any of his words have a chance to sink into my mind.

“Wait!” I cry out. “It’s okay, I’m not afraid,” my voice trembles as the words rush out, catching me in my lie.

He turns again but doesn’t come back to the table. “Are you sure?” he asks, his face in deep concentration.

“Yes, I’m sure,” I say again, my voice stronger this time, though my heart is still racing in my chest.

“You know, Gracee Wilson, you’re a terrible liar,” he accuses, his dimple peeking out again from the corner of his mouth. He walks back to the table and sits down again. I feel my chest loosen and the breath I didn’t know I’d been holding is released.

“So, what exactly is it that makes Xander Blakely tick?” I question, my own smile breaking through.

“Hmmm. Well now, I’m not sure that it’s that easy.” He smiles, but his eyes seem to grow perceptively darker, the question obviously striking a sore spot. No angel should ever look that sad.

“Here, then how about we start with the basics? What’s your favorite color?” He laughs and his eyes return to his normal color, the pain temporarily forgotten.

“Hey now, that’s pretty personal. I’m not sure if I’m comfortable answering!” I giggle and lightly push his arm.

“Tell me!” I demand, my cheeks warming.

He sighs, “Oh fine, if you insist, it’s green!” I let out a light, carefree laugh, the likes of which I have not heard in many years. I feel something stirring inside of me as I look at the “dangerous” boy across from me. For just a little while, all my worries are forgotten as we talk. In the back of my mind I wonder, is this a date? I mean, we are eating, and it’s just the two of us, that seems to fit the description. I feel a rush of joy.