21. Revenge

Dear Peter,

If you ask anyone who knew her, they'd say that I'm just like my Nana. My parents were and still are amazing in raising me, don't get me wrong, but she was always someone special in my life.

She taught me to love and be gentle with people's hearts. So when she died, I vowed to never hurt anyone. To forgive.

We can't always avoid hurting someone when it means destroying ourselves.

I wish I had learned that sooner.

***

Zoya disappeared. 

She was gone for seven hauntingly and agonizingly long days. 

After her world fell apart, she had to find a new one to live in. David didn't leave a letter or a voice-mail or any message of any sort. For the first time in my life, I was angry. I usually tried to stay away from this emotion. All it brings is irrationality and hatred and those things never suited me. But now? Now, I was furious. Zoya bled from her own heart just to make room for his, and he took advantage of the love that he never deserved in the first place.

It wasn't until a week after the wedding that I heard a knock at the door. After opening it, I let out a breath that it felt like I'd been holding in for a week. It was Zoya, a backpack strapped to her shoulders and a cup of coffee in her hand. Her eyes, which were now tearing up, lacked life and were supported by heavy bags. Her lips were pale and trying their best to form something close to a smile. 

I threw my arms around her neck, letting out tears that I hadn't known were coming. She shared the same sentiment and we cried together, letting us take in each other's presence.

I led her to the couch and gave her time to settle in before speaking.

"Where did you go? I was worried about you."

It was true. My nights were also restless. I would stay awake, wondering if she was safe and hoping that she wouldn't do anything irrational. You and Charlie would visit often, also concerned about her whereabouts.

"I was with my mom," she said, a spark of happiness igniting in her eyes and fading too quickly.

I shook my head in confusion. Her mom had been at the wedding, but I didn't know what to make of it. I remained silent, letting her explain.

"She found me outside the manor. She apologized, Lucy, and she promised that she would take care of me," her voice was shaky as she brought her hands up to wipe away the tears that were rolling down her cheeks.

It was a blessing. She came through for Zoya in the toughest time of her life, and that's the moment where I realized that I had nothing to be worried about. She had been in good hands.

"She kept her promise and we just spent time together, catching up on the last four years of my life."

I took her hands in mine, "That's wonderful. So everything is okay between you two now?" The real question I wanted to ask was what about her father? She hadn't mentioned him, so I figured that that was a different case.

Zoya shook her head and sighed, "Not everything. But she was there for me when I needed her the most. That's gotta count for something, right?"

She was unsure; should she forgive her mother for abandoning her? Deep down, a part of her knew that she should, but it wasn't easy to just forget what she had done.

I nodded, squeezing her hands. "It definitely does."

***

I knew that the days following Zoya's return weren't going to be easy, but a part of me thought that she would at least be doing okay.