The Truth Unfolds

I sat across the kitchen table from my dad with tears streaming down my face. I had just finished telling him the sordid details that's occurred. He simply sat and stared with his chin rested on his hand in deep thought taking a deep breath he finally spoke. "Aspen I don't know what to make of this. You've always been one to avoid trouble. When did this thing start between you and Mr. Carmichael's?"

"When I met him at the company picnic".

Shaking his head he spoke. "Aspen he is a grown man. You have no business messing with him, besides I'm not sure his intentions are pure. Right now the main thing is to go to the police station and file a report. The sooner these creeps are off the streets the safer you are. We'll discuss your punishment later".

My dad rose to grab his jacket and it hurt to see the disappointment etched into his features. The ride to the station was quiet. Once there I relayed the story and had pictures taken of my injuries. Sure enough they found evidence of my abduction at the warehouse. They also made me tell them Gath's whereabouts. I felt sick turning him over to the police but I knew this was the best thing to do. I just hope in time he would forgive me.

I couldn't believe how long we was kept there and I was exhausted. All I wanted was my bed. Finally they said we was free to go but a officer would join us and set outside my home until the culprits were caught. At least knowing that I felt somewhat safer. As we was walking through the lobby I spotted Gath being escorted in. Wow... they got him back in no time. Our eye's met and held each other. My dad stopped, wondering why I had came to a sudden stop. He followed my gaze and grabbed my arm trying to pull me along. "Let's go Aspen".

I shrugged from his grip and said "wait".

I hurried up to Gath with a apologetic look. "Gath I'm so sorry but I think this is best for both of us".

Gath leveled me with a stone cold stare. "Thanks so much Aspen. I'm just in for questioning right now, but I'm sure that will change".

"Please don't be upset with me Gath. I truly didn't mean to hurt you or bring you trouble, but honestly this is what needs to be done to stop them. They found evidence at the warehouse. This will work out, I promise".

With sarcasm he replied. "Please forgive me if I don't trust your word's".

That really got me deep and my eye's welled up with unshed
tears. "Please Gath. Just give it time."

"Says the one who won't have to pay the price".

I shook my head in disbelief at his word's. This was definitely the Gath I didn't know. Seeing my distress my dad came over to pull me away. "It's time we go Aspen".

As my dad led me off I glanced at Gath one last time and mouthed "I'm sorry".

The next two day's was a nightmare. Between the cop's being parked outside my house and my dad I was never alone. I tried several times to contact Gath but my calls went straight to voicemail. My dad refused to let me out of his sight until those ass bags were caught. It was killing me not knowing what happened to Gath. I prayed and prayed they didn't book him. As I was at the edge of my sanity there was a knock at the door. My dad answered and in stepped a officer. "I'm here to inform you that your attackers have been arrested and will remain in custody until the court date. You will be notified soon with the date. In the meantime you may want to look into getting a lawyer". I could feel the stress trickle from my bones at hearing the news. Then he mentioned a lawyer and my glee vanished. There was no way my dad could afford a lawyer. Then another thought occurred to me. "What about Ga... Evan Carmichael's?"

"I'm sorry Miss, but I can't give that information out".

Nodding my head I watched as the officer took his leave. Turning to my dad I blurted out. "I have to go dad".

"Oh no you don't Aspen. You are to stay away from that man. Besides your grounded".

Those word's stunned me. Never had my dad grounded me. "What, why?"

"You know exactly why Aspen. Running off, lying, seeing that man. This isn't the child I raised. You'll see in time this is for the best. Besides we need to check out some lawyers".

"Dad you know as well as I do we can't afford one. Now please, let me go?"

Absolutely not".

Never had I disobeyed my dad but this time was different. He was interfering with matters of the heart. Swiping my coat up I looked at my dad and whispered "I'm sorry". Then ran out the door.

I could hear my dad calling after me but I refused to turn back. Finally I caught the bus and headed to Gath's apartment. As I laid down on his buzzer my nerves seemed to be zooming through my body like electricity. Finally after several moment's he swung the door open. "Go home Aspen".

"No. Not until you talk to me".

Before he could slam the door in my face I forced myself inside. "You can't stay mad at me Gath".

"I'm not mad at you Aspen. I simply just don't give a shit anymore".

"What's that suppose to mean?"

"It means that this is the end of the line for us".

"Really? I can't believe you. Just because you didn't get your way your ready to throw the towel in on us".

Spinning around to face me he growled. "No you did that when you ran your mouth. Your the reason I'm in deep shit".

"We couldn't keep running Gath".

"Just get out Aspen. My life is over, ruined, finished. All because of some fool girl I was infatuated with".

I couldn't stop the tears this time. His word's stabbed me to my soul. "You can't be serious Gath".

"My fucking name is Evan... Not Gath. You got what you wanted, they've been arrested, now kindly leave my premises".

I tried to think what the old, badass Aspen would do in this situation. Surely she wouldn't set and cry like a weak kitten. Conjuring up her courage and attitude I swiped my tears away. "No EV-AN" I made sure to pronounce his name as sarcastically as possible before I continued. "Your the weak one here. You know it's quite pathetic that you put more into your squeaky clean reputation than how you treat people. I'm not the fool, you are. If I never see you again it still be too soon. Have a nice life rolling around in your money...alone".

With that I turned on my heel and strode to the door with my head high. There was a hideous statue that sat on a pedal stool by the door. Taking my finger I gently toppled it over sending it crashing to the floor. I fained a oh no look. "Oops, I'm so sorry, but it does look better now".

"Real fucking mature Aspen".

Shrugging my shoulders I sauntered out feeling free. I had finally found that Aspen.