Epilogue - We'll Always Come Home

The first thing that Arthur did was begin the process for repealing the ban on magic. Except the problem was that it was taking a lot longer than Arthur anticipated. He had thought that he could remove the ban easily enough. Simply sign the document and announce it to the kingdom, that should be all it took. His father had done so enough times. He figured that he could have it done by the end of the first month. But, when he actually found himself seated at the head of the council table with all the council members questioning him about his decision he realized that it would take longer. Much longer. It wasn't that they were against his proposal. Sure, there were a few that showed concern and seemed against the idea, but many questioned him about the parameters that are to be set. Questions such as the types of magic that were allowed and the extent of punishment for practicing dangerous magic. He hadn't considered that far ahead and so spent the next long while teaching himself all he needed to know.

He spent months in his chambers, reading through all the documents, books, and records that Geoffrey had on magic. Often he would fall asleep at the table, waking up to the sight of Gwen standing in front of him with a look of pity and breakfast in her hands. He would find himself wandering the town as well, asking the citizens themselves of their thoughts and opinions on magic. He would question them on Uther's policies too. Asking them to share their honest thoughts without fear of punishment. He made sure to hear from all types of people, even those who had supported Uther. Arthur knew he needed to learn more, he needed to understand not just one side of the story, but of both. He found Gaius to be the best person to talk to in such cases since the old man had not only been a good friend of Uther's but also a sorcerer. He understood both sides and he knew the flaws and dangers of both. Gaius was able to help him much when he worked on the reformed law, advising him of both the good and the bad of sorcery.

His research not only helped him understand more about magic, but his father as well. He learned of the terrible things he'd done, had dug up old documents in Geoffrey's library that recounted some of the horrors that Uther allowed to pass. At some times, he understood what his father had done. Some of the sorcerers were truly cruel monsters. They would kill out of cold blood and convenience. They used their magic to exploit others and were what his father described, but there were also those that his father hunted that didn't deserve the pain they had to suffer through. There were people such as the Druids, who never brought harm to anyone and instead saved travellers who were found injured or the sorcerers who used their magic to heal, such as Gaius. And of course the children. The ones who never even had a chance to live long enough to think a bad thought.

When he had finally learned of the things Uther had done he started to see things in a newer light. He saw why Merlin wanted Uther dead. He saw why many of the townspeople themselves wanted Uther dead. He understood what Merlin had done and he doesn't doubt that if he were in the same situation that he would have done the same. After all, he almost did didn't he? He had held the blade to Merlin's neck. A moment later and he would have done the deed. 

Arthur now sits at his desk, tapping the quill against the table as he tries to summon up the courage to bring ink to parchment and write what he wants to say because despite his anger, his hurt, and his sadness he knows that what Merlin had done was justified. He may not be happy with the result, but that doesn't mean he should have been as harsh as he was. He left Merlin alone, abandoned him when he promised he would never leave. He had hurt him with his words, and it's only right that he should apologize too that he should at least let him know that he still cared.

He sighs, looking to the flowers that sit beside him on his desk in a little vase. Merlin had admitted to his wrong doings and it's only right that he does too because the last person who refused to admit to their mistakes had been Uther Pendragon and look where that had gotten him. Still, despite it all he finds it hard to bring the quill down on the page. A part of him still isn't ready to forgive the warlock. A part of him still says that Merlin got what he deserved. But as the butterfly skitters across the surface of the wood, stopping at the tip of his quill it too appeared to be urging him to write and put his feelings down on the page for Merlin to see. The king smiles at the little critter and soon the ink starts to flow across the page.