XLIX

Dei was on her way home, she's been very busy, four final project submissions, a research paper and finals in the next two weeks.

She worries that she doesn't get the time to call or text Richard. There have been days that she'd miss his calls and reply to messages several hours after. Now, she understands why there are long-distance relationships that do not work, it's hard being away.

If Richard accepts the job, then he will be leaving for San Francisco in 8 days. San Francisco and London has an 8 hour difference, which was manageable but she fears that San Francisco and Manila is going to be a little tricky as it has a 15 hour difference. 

She's off to Manila in three weeks to set up more scholarships and maybe build a library from the proceeds of the sale from the ring from Christian.

She didn't want to hinder Richard from pursuing something that he wanted. She volunteered to cancel her trip, but Richard asked if she would be happier if she was the one to spearhead the program and she said yes. Richard told her to go.

She wonders if she could push back going back to Manila without impacting the timeline of her project, perhaps it's something that she needs to think about.

***

Dei opens her apartment door, she gets a whiff of apple and cinnamon, the room was filled with candles and it was a little dark.

Richard walks out of the bedroom. "Love! You're here, I didn't hear you."

He was all dressed. He gets something from the table. He walks towards Dei and gives her a kiss on the lips. He then gives her a bouquet of yellow carnations, her favourite. "Love, this one's for you."

Dei was confused with what was happening. "Ano to? Bakit ang dilim?"

"Remember when we got together it was before I went to do my 3-month stint at Silicon Valley and I said, I am going to woo you. So this is me, wooing you, the way you should be wooed."

Richard ushers her to a table with candlelight setting and fairy lights.

"Mademoiselle, would you like to join me for dinner?"

"Oui."

***

"RJ, Love, bakit ang perfect mo?"

"Ha? Hindi kaya. Far from it."

"Thank you for the wonderful surprise. Sobrang na-surprise talaga ako. I forgot to pick-up food from the deli and I was only going to eat cereal sobrang busy kasi and here you make me all my favourite food!"

Dei moves closer to Richard and hugs him. "RJ, how did I get so lucky and ended up with you?"

"No, I'm luckier because I have you."

"Are we having this conversation again? The last time we did, we spent a few hours discussing who's luckier?"

"I am"

"No, I am"

Then they both laugh heartily.

"I missed you." Dei said

"I missed you more"

"No! I missed you most!"

"I missed more, most, many many more!." They both laugh again.

They were facing each other in bed, Dei's chest buried on Richard's chest and Richard's face on top of Dei's head.

"I love you, RJ"

"I love you more, Dei"

"Not possible. I love you more"

"Possible. I love you more"

***

Dei wakes up, smiling. The person she loves is here. With her eyes closed, her hands move to the area of the bed where Richard sleeps. Her hands feel the space in the bed and moves around all it feels is the bed itself. 

Dei opens her eyes and looks at the empty space in the bed. She checks the clock, it's only 7 in the morning. When Richard's in town, they don't get up until 9 in the morning unless she has morning classes.

"RJ, Love?" she shouts

She gets off the bed, looks around the room, there's no sign of Richard nor his things. She runs to the living room, the kitchen and the dinning area. No Richard. She sits down on carpet in the living room.

"Richard?! Where are you? Richard? Asan ka na?"

 It was so real, she says. Do I miss Richard so bad that I have dreams of him. She begins to tear up, she misses Richard. He was so real, but I felt him kiss me last night, we had dinner, it was real, he's here.

Maybe I should check the closet to see if his clothes are there. The door opens. Richard in grey shirt and joggers walk in, carrying a brown bag.

Dei runs and jumps at him. He carries her. She buries her face on to his neck. 

Richard heard sobbing. "Baby girl, anong nangyari?"

"Akala ko I was dreaming that you were here. When I woke up there was no trace of you. Akala ko talaga dream. Sobrang na-mimiss na kita. Leave me a note next time"

"I did! It's in the mirror in the bathroom."

"Oh! Hindi na ako nakapunta doon."

"Super clingy ka ata ha?"

"I've been obsessively thinking of you since you left for Manila. This long-distance thing is hard. I've been dreaming of holding you all these time."

"Awww.. my baby girl. I missed you so much, that's why I'm here."

"Aray, RJ. There's something hot here. I think it's this brown paper thing"

"That's freshly made bread I picked up from the bakery after I went jogging"

"Bread?"

"Yes. I'm going to make us breakfast."

Dei's eyes widen at the word breakfast

"You're going to feed me?"

"Yes! Absolutely!"

He carries Dei to one on the chairs of the kitchen counter. He puts the bag down on the counter and proceeds to hug Dei. She hugs his torso which was at a perfect height from where she was sitting. 

"RJ, Love"

"Hmm?" 

"Can we stay like this forever?"

"We'll not take a bath, pee nor eat, just hug?"

"Trying to be funny?"

Richard laughs.