Season 3 - Episode 20: A Different Shade of Pink

"Rangers, as I speak to you now, my thoughts and feelings are divided."

(We begin today inside the command center. Zordon speaks before his team from the heart following Kimberly formally announcing her resignation as a power ranger.)

Zordon: Kimberly, you have been a proud warrior and have defended our planet valiantly. Yet the opportunity that lies before you is much too difficult to ignore.

(Choked up with emotion, Kimberly responds.)

Kimberly: Thank you Zordon. This really wasn't an easy decision for me, I hope you all know that. I have everything I could ever want here. I also made a promise to this team that I would stick by their side no matter what.

(Aisha supportively throws her hand on Kim's shoulder.)

Aisha: We'll allow this exception though.

Kimberly: (Chuckles) Thanks...

Tommy: Yeah. I mean I don't want to lose you either. But I just can't sit back and watch you give this up. It just... it wouldn't be fair.

Billy: We'll always be here for you Kim.

Kimberly: ...

Rocky: Why is she leaving again?

(Rocky leans over to whisper in Aisha's ear, although it's audible to everyone else.)

Kimberly: ...

Rocky: Is she dying?

Aisha: She's joining the Pan Global games.

Rocky: Oh... what is that?

(Alpha steps forward with a small gift.)

Alpha: Here Kimberly, I got this for you.

Kimberly: Aw, Alpha. You really didn't need to get me anything.

Alpha: But I wanted to. You're like a big sister to me.

Kimberly: Thank you...

Alpha: Even though you won't be with us much longer, you'll always be a part of our family.

(Kimberly appears genuinely touched as Alpha walks away, wiping away an imaginary tear.)

Adam: Zordon, I have a question. What are we gonna do without a pink ranger?

Aisha: Yeah, I can only imagine this will create an opening for Rita and Zedd to capitalize on.

Zordon: Indeed Aisha. That is why I have asked Kimberly to nominate her replacement before she departs.

(Kimberly steps forward.)

Kimberly: Thank you for the honor Zordon, but I don't think I can do that. That's way too much responsibility. Plus this new ranger is gonna be with you guys going forward not me. I really think you guys should nominate the next pink ranger.

Rocky: What about Kat?

Kimberly: No.

Rocky: (Throws arms up) What? Why not?

(Aisha clear her throat suggestively as the room gets tense.)

Aisha: Rocky...

Rocky: What? She's totally cool. She likes video games, and super cu--- AHHHH!!

Aisha: ...

Rocky: You kicked me! What the heck?!

Kimberly: Anyone at all? I'm totally open to anyone else.

Tommy: We have until the end of the week to decide. Let's break and come up with a few names.

Kimberly: Great. Just one thing... Has... anyone seen Robbie?

Billy: No, I haven't heard from him.

Tommy: Nope.

Kimberly: That's weird. I'd like to see him before I go.

Tommy: I'm not sure why.

(Meanwhile on the moon, just outside the castle Vile is seen tending to a herd of Tenga warriors like a farmer tending to chickens. He's approached by Zedd.)

Lord Zedd: How's the army?

Master Vile: Growing by the day. We have nearly enough bodies to occupy every major country around the world.

Lord Zedd: Well keep going. I want every country occupied when I decide to attack. The last thing I want is to be thwarted because Ecuador showed up on a floating door to save the day.

Master Vile: Hahaha. You read my mind. By the way how's fatherhood like?

Lord Zedd: Phenomenal. I never thought I'd love someone as I do my baby boy, Thrax.

Master Vile: The bond really is powerful, huh?

Lord Zedd: Yes.

Master Vile: Makes up for the lack of sleep?

Lord Zedd: Huh?

(Cut to inside the castle, where Rita tries in vain to soothe a screaming Thrax. Then to her begging her son to eat his green mush and having it thrown in her face. Then to her trying desperately to change the fussy baby before he sprays her in her bloodshot eyes.)

Lord Zedd: I'm sleeping just fine.

Master Vile: Well good.

Lord Zedd: I can't wait to give him his very own country to rule over for his first birthday.

Master Vile: Before we get there, we are missing a key ingredient. Now I've assigned general to each occupying country. To stomp out any resistance and dilute the rangers resources should they get any ideas.

Lord Zedd: Wonderful. Divide and conquer.

Master Vile: The only problem is, we're missing something to make them unstoppable.
Lord Zedd: What?

Master Vile: The Zeo crystals.

Lord Zedd: I see.

Master Vile: They're on earth, somewhere. I know it. I just can't figure out where. The only one who knew where they might be was Ninjor.

Lord Zedd: What?! You mean to tell me we could've have access to an unstoppable, world conquering power. And you let the one person who knew where it was get away?

Master Vile: He wasn't exactly dying to tell us anything if you so recall. But if we find him, I know a way that can help.

Lord Zedd: Walk with me then. I'll send out a search party.

(Zedd puts his arm around Vile as they head back to the castle. They don't go far however before Rita rushes up to them carrying a crying Thrax.)

Rita: Please, Zeddy. You've gotta help me. This thing won't shut up. I need a break. I can't... I can't do it.

Lord Zedd: What's wrong? Come here little guy...

(Zedd reaches his arms out to take his son. Instantly Thrax stops crying.)

Lord Zedd: There you go!

Rita: What? Let me see that.

(Rita snatches him back, only for him to start crying again.)

Rita: What? I don't get it.

Master Vile: Could be all that makeup that's scaring him.

Rita: Could you please do me a favor and just watch it for a couple hours while I take a quick--

Master Vile: No time, men are at work here.

(Vile dismissively waves her off as he continues walking with Zedd.)

Rita: ...

Master Vile: Honestly, some women just aren't cut out for child rearing.

(A couple of days later, we return to earth inside Angel Grove High. It's Friday afternoon. The bell rings, signaling the end of the day. There's a delayed reaction by the student body due to testing going on. Kimberly is the first to walk out. And in somewhat of an emblematic moment, she looks around the halls and takes a deep breath, as she takes stock of what she's about to miss on her last day of class.)

Kimberly: (Exhales) Well, I guess this is it.

(Just then, the students are unleashed into the halls. Some of whom know what is happening, as faces from past and present pass by Kim to wish her off.)

"Knock em dead in Florida, Kim."

Kimberly: Thanks Margie, take care of yourself.

"Have a safe trip. We'll miss you girl."

Kimberly: Thank you Hillary, Lindsay.

"Sorry about everything we've said about you."

Kimberly: Wait, what did you say?

"Ms. Hart. It's been a pleasure."

(Mr. Kaplan and Ms. Appleby approach her, standing side by side like two proud parents seeing their kid off to college.)

Kimberly: The pleasure is all mine. Thanks for everything Ms. Appleby, Mr. Kaplan.

Ms. Appleby: I'm very proud of you, dear. I feel like I'm losing one of my own kids. But you're gonna do great things. I just know it.

(Kimberly hugs Ms. Appleby before the two adults leave. Tommy appears from behind.)

Tommy: Taking it all in?

Kimberly: Yeah. You can say that.

(She turns around, with a dour look in her eyes.)

Tommy: What's wrong?

(She bites her lip.)

Kimberly: Robbie wasn't in today. Today's my last day in Angel Grove and he skipped class.

Tommy: Sounds like an added bonus.

Kimberly: Well it's not. Robbie's my friend.

Tommy: Yeah I know. I'm just kidding.

Kimberly: We've known each other since middle school. Even though we haven't always gotten along, we've gone through a lot together. We even swapped brains for a few days once.

Tommy: I know. He showed me the pictures.

Kimberly: What??

(Just then some of the others appear.)

Aisha: Hey Kim! So it's your last day. How are you feeling?

Kimberly: Hey. Oh, I'm alright. By the way have you given any thought to who you're nominating to my place?

Aisha: Mmh. Not really.

Kimberly: No one?

Adam: We don't really have a deep roster of friends outside of this group.

Kimberly: Tommy? You?

Tommy: Nah. No one could ever take your place. So I won't even try.

Kimberly: Aww, you're the best.

Tommy: No you are.

Kimberly: I'm gonna miss you.

Tommy: Me too.

(Out of nowhere, Rocky pops out of a locker.)

Rocky: Get a room you two!

Kimberly: Rocky! Oh my gosh, what happened?

Rocky: I tried recruiting some of the football players to the team.

Tommy: And what happened?

Rocky: I never got past asking them how they feel about pink skirts.

Aisha: God Rocky, you're a mess. Come.

(They help him out of the locker and straighten him up. Billy appears out of a classroom.)

Billy: Hey guys. What's going on?

Kimberly: We're having trouble recruiting.

Tommy: You have any luck?

Billy: (Shrugs) I haven't had the time to think of anyone. I've been focusing on finding Ninjor with Alpha. So far I we've come up empty.

Tommy: There has to be an easier way to do this. I mean with Jason, Zack and Trini, we were at least lucky you guys came around the same time.

Kimberly: Yeah we really don't have anyone like that this time around. And I really don't think it should be some lunk head from the football team either. I want someone who's worthy of wearing the pink tights.

Rocky: What about...

Kimberly: No!

Rocky: (Sucks teeth) Why not?!

Kimberly: Because... (Takes a deep breath) I just don't feel she really had the ethics to uphold the honor.

Rocky: She's not running for president, Kim.

Adam: Rocky has a point, Kim. None of us are totally "honorable."

Billy: Yeah I don't know who really meets those lofty standard. Do any of your friends meet them?

(On cue, Lindsay and Hillary pass by...)

Lindsay: I just ended a five year relationship today.

Hillary: Oh my god, are you okay?

Lindsay: Yeah I'm fine. It wasn't mine.

Kimberly: No... I guess not.

(She looks to Tommy, who jumps in.)

Tommy: Guys. We don't need Katherine if she isn't comfortable with her. We owe her that much.

Aisha: He's right. We'll just keep looking.

(In agreement, the teens walk away together. One who isn't in any rush to replace Kimberly though is Robbie. He is seen walking through the park on a cloudy day. His hands are in his pocket as his mind appears occupied. That is until he hears a commotion ahead of him.)

Robbie: Huh.

(He hears something strangely unfamiliar to him, laughter. Teens close to his age together for a friendly volleyball game. Normally is would be nothing more than background noise until his eyes find somebody familiar to him.)

Robbie: Sammy?

(Trini's younger cousin, Sammy, who weeks ago he found himself consoling over the loss of her long time crush seems completely engaged, and even happy while lost in the moment of the competition. She speeds to the ball, recovers when her teammates miss a hit, and has the game winning spike to end the game.)

Sammy: Take them apple with a bag of chips!!

"Wooo!! Sammy!!"