Culture Shock

2022.

              October.

The heat of the flames behind me stiffen my knees. My hands raise up in front of me in defence. The dark cloak of the evening only aided in the intensity of the scene.

"Ren!" I heard my name being called from behind me.

You have to know, friend, that I didn't expect this. Not at all. Peaceful. Peaceful is what I wanted. Not this.

"Don't take another step closer." I stand my ground.

The man before me smiled evilly. His eyes shone with hatred, the fires behind me reflecting on his face.

A gun shot was heard from the distance. Screams echos through the air.

"Or else what Bukkakese? I don't see your little boyfriend anywhere." He growled.

I clench my teeth. Calm down, I can feel your heart rate.

"You shouldn't be here. Dumb slut. Shoulda stayed at the nail salon...Or better yet. Go back to where you came from."                 

~~~~

               2022.

                September.

Good morning friend.

Don't be too frightened. You must be asking how you got here. 

You requested this? Don't you remember? You wanted to know what it would be like to live in my shoes. Our shoes? The logistics of it are not relevant though. Anyways, friend...Keep  your mind open okay? 

I sat up in bed, pushing away the covers. A headache pounded within me.

I didn't realize holding you here would take a toll on me. I felt the shock of you as soon as opened my eyes.

Please stay calm. I know it's a different reflection than what you're used to.

Splashing water against my face, I wiped traces of last night's sleep away. My deep chocolate hair in tangles, and even darker eyes squinted in the light.

Filipino. Thats's what I am. In case you wanted to ask.

This summer has not played fair to me. In fact the whole year did not play fair. It wasn't as if there was a major event that had occurred. Not recently at least.

"Ren, get moving! You'll hit traffic." My mother calls from upstairs.

"Yeah, yeah!"

Alright, close your eyes - I need to change

...

Quickly I climb into the car, adjusting my rear view mirror. My eyes scan my reflection, sensing you looking at me too. I smile.

The traffic here isn't bad today. But the drivers were no less stupid. Glancing at the time I gasped. 8:00. We gotta get moving here. Carefully I drive through the main street, adjusting my speed as I passed the known traffic cameras.

I slow down seeing a ghost radar truck to the side. The car behind me screechs to a halt, swerves to the next lane and yells through their window. "Dumb chink!"

I stare at the old man. Smiling in return.

Forget him. I'm meeting friends for coffee. There's no point crying over the ignorance of others. Today is suppose to be a great day.

Less than half an our later I pull up to the university hot spot. Grinning widely as soon as I spot Milly. She waves me over.

"Long time no see!" She cheers.

I reply with a tight hug. Her curly blonde hair tickling my nose. As she pulls away her green eyes scan mine. "We have much to catch up on."

Laughing I gestured for her to sit. "Ok, but coffee first."

~*~

"I don't understand, what's happening?" I gasp.

"Tristen," She cleared her throat. "He overheard a few kids from school talking about some sort of meeting."

Tristen - her boyfriend.

"For what? The hockey team?"

Milly shakes her head. "No, he didn't know but he sounded weird."

I shrug, "Okay?"

Her face fell to a grimace.

A few weeks ago down south, there was news that a group of teenagers harassed another kid. Syrian. He died two hours later in the hospital. Beat to death. Scenarios like that haven't stopped. You think they would after 2020 with the riots and Floyd...but they didn't.

I sigh. "I know, Mil. Tristen's a smart guy though, he'll be fine."

"I keep insisting that he shaves his beard! That beard just makes him look more like.."

I know what she's going to say.  I clear my throat. "A beard doesn't make a man an automatic terrorist Mil"

Her eyes slam shut. Ivory hands clenching the mug. "That's not what I was going to say."

"I don't understand why were so nervous for him then?" I squint. 

"God Ren, don't be so ESL. I'm just saying you never know what can happen now a days. What if he's being stupid and causing trouble and like the cops think he's someone else...like a suspect."

I stare at the blonde in front of me. 

Bless her soul. 

"He'll be fine." I comfort her, because it's true. Mr. Tristan Johnson was the son of a well known strong white University Board Dean. "He will be completely fine."