Ashes

Wyatt rests his head against my lap. He's awake now, but he keeps his eyes closed. 

I turn the TV on to keep him from falling back to sleep. 

Every station in town has the protest live on their channel. I catch glimpse of familiar faces. The police still maintain some upper hand. 

I'm not surprised friend. With guns, tear gas, and shields? Of course they'd win a battle. 

"You can see the wild crowd now. They push against the law officials, refusing to follow orders - they really do appear to have a need for chaos." One report bluntly states to the screen. 

"We've been told that two young individuals charged at the police line. Unprovoked and quite aggressively so may we add."

"They continue to strike back at the officers."

"With no motive."

"This was never meant to be peaceful."

My heart must be ripping through my chest by now. Anger fills my entire body. But's it's like watching a car crash. You can't look away. What are we going to do now...

"You shouldn't be watching this." Wyatt whispers up at me. 

He's more alert now. I smile down at him. "I wasn't - I just needed it to keep you from falling asleep."

"It's a good thing you're pretty, because no one likes liars."

I gently smack his side. "Come on, sit up. Let's get you something to drink."

I feel his gaze against me as I pour him a glass of water. 

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry." He whispers. His eyes never break contact. 

"There's nothing you need to be sorry for."

He presses himself against me as I lean back. "I think I'm always causing you trouble. You're always caught up with something you never initiated." 

I chuckle. 

"It's true. Remember back in junior year? We were walking by the basketball court and those kids from the other high school came by?"

"Wyatt," I shrug. "We were just going for a walk - they started it."

"Yeah, but you tried to help and we both ended up in the principles office."

I roll my eyes. "Nothing came of it. Besides they were jerks. I wouldn't have just stood by while they called you all those stupid names."

"What about just before we graduated? You got in trouble then too."

"Only cause Libby Pollard was a racist bitch. She deserved that slap in the face."

Wyatt cackles. I smile at the sound. 

Suddenly he falls silent. "The last few days though? You didn't need to be interrogated. You didn't need to be standing over me - between cops."

I stare at him for a while. A glaze of fatigue and concern cloud his eyes. "You don't need to be sorry. I'm just glad you're okay."

"Me too."

We must have remained side by side in silence for a while. 

I've never realized how deeply rooted Wyatt and I were. Every day I grew up along side him and yet, something terrifying needed to happen before I realized how much I needed him. 

Do you have anyone like him?

I wouldn't even dare imagine having to wake up tomorrow without seeing his ridiculous face. 

Does this make any sense? Is it just me?

You have that one person you know you can count on. And I mean - I trust and love all my friends. But some days, it's as if Wyatt knows exactly what I need before I utter a single word.

To lose him would kill me I think...

"What now?" I whisper. 

He shrugs. "I guess we just try to make it to morning?"

A small laugh escapes me. "Shut up. We will. I just mean, when this is all over. What happens next?"

"Who knows," His eyes fall to his hands, they hover near mine. "Maybe things will settle out quickly - we'll all go back to our routine."

"What if they don't?"

"Then let's just hope it turns out for the better. A new normal."

I nod in silence. 

"Hey Ren?"

"Hmm?"

His voice grows softer now. "You'd tell me if you weren't okay, right?"

I nod. 

"Because you know you can always count on me? I just want to make sure you're okay."

"Wyatt," I wave at him to stop. 

He clutches my hand. "I'm being serious. You're my person. I just don't want anything to happen to you."

His fingers graze gently at my knuckles. His eyes never leaving mine and I couldn't tell if the pounding was coming from my chest or his. 

My breath shakes as I sigh. "I know."

Then my phone buzzes frantically in the corner of the room. The battery must have finally regained charge. "Shit." I utter as I see my mothers face fill the screen. "Hello?"

Wyatt chuckles clearly familiar with my mothers antics. 

"No mom I'm fine. Yes mom I know I shouldn't be here - but you don't understand. No mom I wont get hurt. Yes mom. No mom. Okay, okay - I'll keep you updated."

"I'm surprised she isn't dragging your ass back home herself."

"Oh Wyatt," I nervously chuckle. "Don't hold that above her. She's crazy."

We sit there laughing at the ridiculous predicament we found ourselves in. He clutches his side winching and cackling all the while. "Stop laughing or else - or else I can't stop!"

I take a quivered breath trying to stop. "I'm trying!"

His giggles begin to taper off. 

"Are you okay?" I wipe my tears. 

Wyatt nods. "I will be." 

A sudden bang echoes a few blocks away, followed by a soft orange glow. I flinch. Wyatt leans closer pushing me towards him. 

For a second I had forgotten the serious scenes outside these quiet walls. I'm sorry friend. I - I didn't mean to be so selfish.

"Everyone okay?" Chey calls out from the front door. 

"Yes," Wyatt calls back.

Chey smile is wide across her face, her eyes full of relief. "How're you doing solider?"

"I'm good," His eyes flicker back to me for a moment. "Is everyone else okay?"

"Polly just texted me. The crowd hasn't left yet. Wyatt," Chey softly stares at our friend, "No one would be upset with you if you would rather stay here?"

He huffs in disbelief. "No, why would I stay here if I can fight too."

"It's not a fight." Chey whispers half heartedly. 

My gaze grows grim. "Chey, it never meant to be one. But, I think - I think it's become one."

Chey's eyes fall to the ground. "I know. I just never hoped it would turn out like this."

We fall into a silence as the TV behind us echos in the background. The flicker of fire roars behind vivid signs that continue to paint the night sky above the crowd. I reach for Wyatt's hand. 

This was it.