twelve

One of the saddest things that can happen to a band is when a member decides to quit for good

One of the saddest things that can happen to a band is when a member decides to quit for good. I had no idea how heartbreaking it was until I broke the news to the group.

Right away, the laughter and jokes that usually filled the HQ were gone. They were replaced by a thick silence and Rose's quiet sobs. Everyone looked like they were all in a vintage photo. Clover was rubbing Rose's shoulder as a form of comfort while Nate and Clint just stared at the floor.

"Did you try to change her mind?" Nate asked.

"I didn't," I said quietly.

"You should have." His voice had taken on a sharper tone, and I felt my heart pound in agitation. I tried to stand my ground as I stated my reason.

"I'm sorry. But I didn't think it was my place to step in like that. She... Claire had genuine reasons why she couldn't continue with this."

Nate stared down at me. "What reasons? Is she mad at us?"

I looked away and began to tug at my sleeves. "She's not, but I-I don't know if I should tell you. It seemed like a private matter to her..."

We heard a thumping noise behind us, and we all turned to see Michael who had put in guitar down on the table. He turned his eyes to me, all black and exhausted and distant.

"It's okay," he said. "You don't have to say it."

He got up from his stool and walked out of the room. We only stared at his back. Without any of them saying a word, I knew that the same understanding had dawned on everyone else—that Claire's quitting had something to do with him.

Clint also got up from his seating to follow Michael, but Nate raised his hand to stop him. Rose made a loud shuddering exhale as she wiped her damp eyes with the back of her hand.

"I knew this would happen," she said between her sniffles. "She's been talking to us less and less, and we've been mean to her, so we can't blame her. All we can do now is to respect her decision and let her go."

"How about the competition?" Clover asked, displaying none of the sadness the others had shown.

Nate threw his hands up. "Dunno. Maybe we should back out."

"But we made a promise to Michael," Rose replied.

He scoffed at that. "Tell that to Claire. She was the one who made that promise and was the one to break it. I'm leaving," he said, shoving his drumsticks in his backpack.

"Dude! You're gonna quit, too?" Clint exclaimed, his eyes flashing in surprise.

"What? No. I'm just calling it a day. No way am I turning my back on my friends. I'm not an asshole like her."

"Oh, Nathan." Rose hit her forehead with her palm. "Just when I thought you were finally going to say something nice, you really had to add that last part."